vandal proof auto locks

NocturnalKitty

May 22, 2005
Ca/Az
anybody ever installed anything like these on a mk3 supra? when i use to work for toyota i'm pretty sure i remember seeing some brand of barrel type locks (think it was the solex locks i saw) in the display cases at the front parts counter. i ran a search on google for these locks, but solex doesn't seem to make any for the mk3. :3d_frown: anybody know of any other locks like this for the mk3? been thinking about switching out for something like this or swapping the locks between my supra and maybe a GM along w/an upgraded alarm and maybe a fuel cutoff switch. would rather go w/the barrel style locks though.

any ideas?

for reference...

http://www.lockworld.com/vandal.htm

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Don't see how that would work with the lock integrated into the handle on the MkIII.

Shave your handles. Then there is nothing they can pop out. :)

NocturnalKitty

May 22, 2005
Ca/Az
really? any video? i would love to see this. though i don't doubt it...most things u can do w/cars now a days seem to have some easy way to bypass them. the auto lock (the one that goes on the clutch pedal) seems be one of the few decent things u get these days. i remember a few yrs back they had some starter kill switch type thing they were selling that u could have installed on a vehicle (don't remember the name). there was some key fob type piece that was used to connect the connectors to start the car. as it turned out any key would work or even a penny.

so no other option then shaving the door handles huh guys? i was thinking about swapping out for GM locks or something like that, but even if i could i don't really see that doing a whole lot of good.

Pariah

Mar 28, 2007
Kamloops, BC, Canada
JustAnotherVictim;898735 said:
Someone did a demo on a lock similar to that with a bic pen.
Didn't take very long.

Yea, a few months ago quite a few MX-3s were stolen because on a certain year you can hit the door in a certain spot and the unlock.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
If they want it badly enough...

Back in 2001 we had a Supra show up at SILV that didn't even need to lock the doors. When they parked they lowered the frame down onto the ground. The only way to take the car was to get a crane. You couldn't even tow it.

hydroscrog

Sleeper
Sep 29, 2007
South Carolina
You could always make alterations to your electrical system for a few hidden switches. Use spdt switches and make a hidden panel and use a up-down code to make the connections to a fuse block somewhere else to plug in a fuse to further confuse anyone who tries to steal the car. Not that your belonging inside are not safe from theft but your ride will be there

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
You could always disconnect the lock linkage and remove the linkage shaft from the door (very easy, takes like 5 minutes) and setup a Keyless entry/alarm system.

OR you could setup the aftermarket alarm, so that the alarm goes off when a key is inserted into the lock and turned...so the lock will still open, but the alarm will sound...that's how my car is setup. I just use the keyless entry system to get into my car.