Valvoline Syn-Power 75W-90 in a R154 experience...

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
Many times people will post their problems and/or questions. But they wont really post when something goes really well for them. I wanted to share my experience with a lubricant I used in my R154 transmission. The transmission was giving out on me, and finally it came to the point where 1st-2nd and sometimes third wouldnt even grab gear. So lubricants cant fix this problem cause the damage is done. So I got a newer low mileage transmission and put Valvoline Syn-Power (Full Synthetic) 75W-90 as recommended from here on the forums. I did my research and I couldnt get MT-90 on time to me cause I needed a lubricant like, now! for the swap. Royal Purple was at my disposal but due to the additive packs I was afraid the syncro's would not slow in time.

I drove the car slowly at first and then started building up to a faster pace. The transmission shifted beautiful and did not have not one hiccup at all! I am very impressed with this oil. I short shifted, shifting at high-rpm, down-shifter with and without a rev-match. Heal-toe driving, everything, it just worked perfect. I dont know what else to say other than I am very happy. I wish i could be more scientific, but I dont know how else to document my findings.

I would appreciate jDubs opinion on this one.

Thank you.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Valvoline SynPower 75W-90 is an API GL-5 gear oil...yes it does contains friction modifiers and is formulated for an LSD.
Only time will tell if it will eventually affect the synchros.

SynPower Gear Oil

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
jdub;942517 said:
Valvoline SynPower 75W-90 is an API GL-5 gear oil...yes it does contains friction modifiers and is formulated for an LSD.
Only time will tell if it will eventually affect the synchros.

SynPower Gear Oil

I dont understand, I was reading in one of your posts that you said it could be used and it did not contain friction modifiers along with being a full synthetic. So you are saying you dont recommend it? Your saying it will affect my syncros? Please be specific. I do notice the transmission being louder as in a winding down noise, but I thought it would be normal. I will see if i can find your post saying so.

Edit:
Found it!

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44485&highlight=valvoline

Post #18.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...I already saw that. The post was from July 2007 and illustrates something about what oil companies do...they change formulations. That post was for SynPower 75W-85 that met a GL-4 spec. The SynPower gear oil they sell now is a GL-5 75W-90.

At the time what I posted was correct (I looked at the spec sheets). Unfortunately, you have to look at the Valvoline website and dig up the current product spec sheet. That applies to just about every oil out there.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
So where does that leave me? I didnt get you to answer my questions about whether or not its bad, is it good? why cant i use it if it's working perfectly now? what the difference in formulation? why is it a matter of time on whether or not my syncros are going to like it? can you please be more specific. I have done my homework, but need your opinion and input please.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's actually the million dollar question ;)
And, I know you've been doing the reading.

In the R-154, either a GL-4 or GL-5 is allowed...the question is how much and what type of friction modifier Valvoline switched to. I have not been able to find any info on it...this is a fairly recent change.

RP has quite a bit of friction modifier in it as evidenced by the grinds others have experienced using that gear oil in the R-154. I would leave the Valvoline in and see what happens...any problem with the oil will show soon enough. If it does start feeling "notchy" or if you get any grinds during shifts, I would change it right away.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
Your making me scared. lol. It feels really good and I like it. I'll leave it in there for now and see what happens. it's a risk but we will see. ill see if i can request some more information about their friction modifiers. also, it does say it's for manual transmissions as well, so i'm sure its okay i guess. if it were as much as the RP, i think i would have noticed it already? i have been beating the shit out of it and nothing. no grinds, nothing. is it normal to hear a little transmission winding at low speed and rpm?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Most of the manual trannys I've driven have the "winding" noise you describe, most of the time when decelerating in gear. The key here is to watch the shifts...if the synchros don't have enough friction, you'll feel/hear it. If it's shifting good, it will be fine since the R-154 can use a GL-5 gear oil. Look at it like this...if you have to change it, you flushed out any crap/gunk built up in the tranny ;)

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
lol. okay dude. thanks. good knowing i can come to you with these questions. btw, i have a friend of mine the runs 15w-50 weight in his 2jz and swears by it. i dont have time to explain why not anymore. i just say, "your dumb" and walk away. lol.