valves/oil in conbustion chamber?

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
i thought i had a blown head gasket due to high compresion.when i remove the head i saw oil on top of the piston.this would be due to a leaking valve seal?the intake manifold/throtle body has dryed oil all over.the engine was recently rebuilt but i belive was done very poorly(720 miles ago).everwhere around the top of the valves has oil caked on.any ideas? i need a valve job?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
If you have oil in the intake, i would assume you might have a bad turbo, or bad pcv system. I dont know of any other ways to get oil in the intake system. Check your intercooler lines at the ic, the lowest hose will collect alot of oil if the turbo is bad.

And yes usually oil on top of the piston is a valve seal

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
cool,there is oil in the intercooler,the turbo was rebuilt right before i had the motor rebuilt,it has no shaft play in and out but a very very little side to side.i havent ben blowing any smoke eather.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Did you clean the intercooler piping or is the oil residual? And are you sure the oild you seen on the piston wasnt from when you pulled the head or anything like that?

All that you are seeing might be residual from before you had the turbo rebuilt, and the engine re done. If you had a bad turbo or bad valve seals you would have smoke sometime or another.

Are you experiencing in symptoms? how do the plugs look?

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
the plugs looked good.there was barely any oil in the intake pipeing,none in the intercooler.probaly before it was rebuilt.its posable the oil on the pistons was from when we pulled the head.but the whole tops of the pistons and combustion chamber has burnt oil all caked up on them.looks kinda dirty for being driven 700 miles after rebuild,i would guess.should i just have the head rebuilt while its off anyways?

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
baked on oil looking stuff on top of each piston could just be carbon buildup? When I rebuilt my motor it was black all the way up to the back of the butterfly in the throttle body. If you have liquid oil, it would have smoked and carried on like that, a cracked ring could cause that too.

Hows the oil level been?

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
its eating oil bad and my frend said one time he was driving behind me i was throwing bluish white smoke on the way back from long drive.would pics help?

ogre

Car Junkie
Oct 17, 2009
wendell, NC
the pcv is a hose coming off your valve cover going into your intake , there is suppose to be a check valve on the line if the check valve is stuck open you will have an issue with oil coming from your valve cover into you intake...

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
are u talking about pluging the holes in valve covers and feel for vacum?my head is all ready off,any way to check it with head off?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
One thing you do not want to is plug the pcv system. There is a thread on here that states it is not a good idea. neither is putting filters on the valve covers, a catch can is more proper. The accordion tube and tb help the pcv system vent correctly. You need the vacuum to help release pressure under load and the tube in the accordion helps release pressure when it is not as great and vacuum isnt present.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104716

read this thread on capping and not capping the pcv system.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
I say do compression test and leak down test. Sounds like not just one thing wrong but a few. You could have excessive blow by and that caking on the throttle body can usually be from the EGR.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I am not sure where the check valve is myself, i did not see one on my system. I only had the steel line from the accordion-----valve covers-----tb

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
ogre;1441114 said:
the pcv is a hose coming off your valve cover going into your intake , there is suppose to be a check valve on the line if the check valve is stuck open you will have an issue with oil coming from your valve cover into you intake...

there is no check valve in the 7m-gte pcv system.

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
so while the heads geting rebuilt i should replace the EGR?or just check to see how oily it is?i check all my pvc hoses and there wet with oil also?how would i go about fixing that?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Oil in the hoses is normal as that is exactly why they are there.....the system sucks in gas/oil vapors and burns them...this helps keep oil clean as well as keep vacume on the block at all times (keeps oil in the engine)...

There is no valve for the pcv system although you can install check valves in the system while running a proper catch can setup...the catch can will catch the gas/oil vapors and store them instead of letting the motor burn it (makes for a cleaner intake manifold, valves, and cleaner combustion).

You can replace the egr if you like but it's not the cause of oil burn...egr simply recycles exhaust gas for fuel economy and emission (although system doesn't operate over certain throttle %)....usually the egr is clogged with carbon so a rifle cleaning kit comes in handy lol.

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
so with the valve seals being redone u think that will solve problem?there is even oil all inside the exhaust ports of the head,im sure the oil would burn off there with the car hot?if the valve seals leak would it put off a lot or a little white/blue smoke?
thank you