Valve Stem Seals

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
First of all.. thank you everybody for answering my many questions regarding repairing my 1987 N/A Supra.

Another question... I had the head planed and I bought a new set of Felpro valve stem seals. When I installed them I was using Dylan Wiggins rebuild tutorial 101. He said to take a 10mm socket, dip the seals in oil and push them on with the socket and an extension. He mentioned he was surprised how little force was required to install them.
I noticed the exact same thing. When I removed the original ones they were pretty tight. When I installed the new ones they pushed on with very little force required. I didn't even have to palm the socket extension. I just pushed them on. I felt one click and they looked like they were on correct.
Now.. of course.. I am having second thoughts on to whether I should have pushed harder. I tried pushing on the 1st one I installed a little when I noticed how easy it was to put on but it didn't go on any further.
I already installed all the valves, springs and cams and I would hate to have to rip the entire head apart again.
So.. my question is.. what type of force did it require to install your valve stem seals?

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
I took one of the cams out and 2 of the valve springs to check the valve stem seals. I tried pushing harder and they won't go in any further. I carefully removed one and looked inside. The Felpro valve stem seals have 1 internal ridge. That is why I felt one click when I installed them. They took very little pressure to install but it was pretty hard to take out one. I am sure they are in correct so I didn't bother to check the rest. I installed the intake manifold and after replacing the 0 rings and cushions on the fuel injectors I installed the fuel rail. I am going to put the head on as soon as I remove the lower crank pully and cover so that I can replace the timing belt with a new one. Doing the timing belt on this motor is a real big job but I can't see doing the head and not doing the timing belt and a new water pump.