Valve stem seals?

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
So I think I screwed up in a week of everything screwing up. Ok for the start, the car has a jdm 89+ motor straight from japan. Spec'ed and inspected everything while head gasket was off and everything was good. So I had some really bad white smoke which was very strange, because it turned out to be a known bad bov, I replaced it because it was bad and white smoke when away, and it was a lot of white smoke.

Anyways, while I had the white smoke I did the valve stem seals because #1 and #6 had a lot of oil on them, used cometic valve stem seals. Now after I installed the bov no more white smoke (still does not seem like a bov could cause white smoke but whatever). Now it has some blue smoke. Also there is an exhaust leak from turbo elbow to down pipe, at this seal I found oil was coming out. I figured the turbo since it was locked up when I got it.

So pulled the turbo and found the oil if coming from exhaust mani, so internal engine. Now with everything apart I did a leakdown test, because its apart I did a cold test, even with doing a cold test, and having a leak between tester and spark plug hole I got 15% leak readings. Using some lube on the tester got the readings down to 10%.

I pulled the spark plugs and now I have oil on all 6 cyls. So with compression readings being as they are I am figuring the valve stem seals did not seat. So thinking back on it, I did not put any assembly lube on the stems when I installed them, oops. Gotta realize it was a bad week, while doing the first valve stem seal my 30 gallon compressor went out, then on my third my 10 gallon compressor went out. Then I had to do the rest on my 30 gallon which blew its piston ring. So max 80psi running at 100% duty. So sorry for the long story but on to question time.

1. With no assembly lube on the valve seals, what are the chances the seals pulled up with the valve.

2. Is there anything anyone can think of that would add a lot of oil into the cylinders. (Although only #6 had oil on it before I did the seals.

3. Do you think the valve seals would be reusable if there is no visual damage to them.

Please keep in mind I have probably build 100 or more engines and never forgot to oil valve stem seals before so I am in in strange place here.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Did you use Valve Condoms when installing the seals?

consumption4.jpg

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
No pcv system is stock. The car in itself is completely bone stock. I figure the cometic seals are one of the best seals you can get and far above stock ones. Like I said though before doing the seals I had oil in cyl 6 and that was it, now with no other mods other then a working bov I have oil in all 6 cyls, the plugs are black from oil too, where before all looked ok but #6. I can see a seal not sitting but to have at least one in each cyl that seems strange.

I will get some pics of how much oil was coming out from the leak in the exhaust, it left two 12inch puddles, one on each side of the cat as it ran down, and thats from minimal running, maybe 5 mins. I am going to borrow a compressor tomorrow and pull all the seals from #1 and see what they look like, I will get pics of them too.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Valve stem seals can be reused but that depends on the condition of them, but considering how cheap they are, might as well do it over and sleep tight at night;)
They might be smoking because they havn't had a chance to expand yet. How long did you run the motor with them in?

Sam