Valve Stem Seal Issue

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Ever since my rebuild ive been burning oil on Cylinder 4. After a leak down, and compression check Ive determined that the source of the oil leaking is from the valve stem seals. I found the one of the seals on the exhaust side were very loose fitting. The head was rebuilt and upon inspection the guide appeared and felt alright, or at least not bad enough to register on a vacuum gauge. Are there different size seals or brands that a more trusted than others. I used DNJ Viton seals from RockAuto and now that cylinder has Supertech iirc seals in it and its still leaking and burning oil. I would like to try one more time before removing the head and have a machine shop look at it again.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
~JDMMA70

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Well guys, I spoke to the machinist that rebuilt the head and informed him of the issue. He seemed very surprised, basically stated he remembers my head and that the guides were in good shape to use. He suggested that perhaps I use OEM Seals over aftermarket, and offered to order me four at his price. Of course I didn't refuse and in a day I had them in my hands. I just want to confirm that I'm not seeing things, do these two seals look different you ya'll?

The inside diameter where the valve stems goes through is smaller. The seal looks different on the inside as well. I find it odd as the seal on the left and the Supertech seals were identical in size and shape. Yet the OEM appears to be just a tad smaller. Is there really that much different between OEM and aftermarket?

Thanks
~JDMMA70