Valve Spring Replacement w/ Head on ?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yes but if ANYTHING goes wrong that head is coming off :(

Done this in the past as as a security blanket I pull the piston down a bit and carefully feed some good quality non fuzzy rope into the cylinder then gently bring the piston back up to TDC. (safer than using a compressor)

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
IJ.;1087740 said:
Yes but if ANYTHING goes wrong that head is coming off :(

Done this in the past as as a security blanket I pull the piston down a bit and carefully feed some good quality non fuzzy rope into the cylinder then gently bring the piston back up to TDC. (safer than using a compressor)

I have never done this... but i think i will try...I wana change springs on mine .. and need to do valve stem seals on Karen's car...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Kckazdude;1087742 said:
I have always used the air hold method myself. Am interested to hear the safer theory however.

Simple, feed in the rope through the spark plug hole. get as much in there as you can.

What'd you use Ian? Nylon?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nylon will work ok :)

You just want something that isn't fluffy/fuzzy so it doesn't leave crap behind when you pull it out.

Rememeber NOT to go nuts on the breaker bar on the crank you just want enough rope cushion to stop the valves falling in.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I understand feeding the rope into the cylinder, just not the safer part. Unless safer as in there is a physical retainer keeping the valve seated unlike with air. I have dropped a valve once doing seals with air. Took me an hour to get it back in without pulling the head. Of course that was a 5S-FE Camry also.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Kckazdude;1087756 said:
I understand feeding the rope into the cylinder, just not the safer part. Unless safer as in there is a physical retainer keeping the valve seated unlike with air. I have dropped a valve once doing seals with air. Took me an hour to get it back in without pulling the head. Of course that was a 5S-FE Camry also.

Ahhh yes...the old rope trick.

That's exactly why it's safer, i.e. If you fill the cylinder up with soft rope there is nowhere for the valve to fall.

The air method makes me nervous too (air...you can't see it:sarcasm:).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Air is evil! ;)

Too many points of potential failure when relying on Air to keep the valves in place!

For instance in a multivalve engine like ours you get all cocky and pop the spring off one intake and decide to pop the other off to save time.....

As you pop the 2nd set of collets the valve unseats for a second and this is enough to let the other free valve slide into the cylinder.... DOH

Any interruption to the air supply and the same thing can happen.

Rope is just safer ;)
(and quieter)

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
IJ.;1087797 said:
For instance in a multivalve engine like ours you get all cocky and pop the spring off one intake and decide to pop the other off to save time.....

As you pop the 2nd set of collets the valve unseats for a second and this is enough to let the other free valve slide into the cylinder.... DOH

Exactly what happened when I dropped that valve. I see the advantages of rope just have never used it.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
IJ.;1087815 said:
Didn't ya just love that sinking feeling as it slid in ;)

i.e.

1. Denial - "No way...that didn't just happen". (Twilight Zone circle spins as you fall in to the abyss).

2. Bargaining - "Maybe I can pull it back with vacuum or magnet or..."

3. Anger - "Motherf*%#er!!! I hate you!!! I'm having this bastard crushed into a cube".

4.Depression - Stare at engine in silence, eyes glazed over, picturing it all apart...again (tear runs down cheek).

5. Acceptance - Air tools buzz, and ratchets click as the top of the motor is disassembled. "You know...as long as I've got the head off I could put those bigger valves in, and maybe do some polish and porting..."

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I went through steps 2-4 repeatedly until the valve was back up where it belonged. It took some finesse to get it back up and I do not ever want to try it again.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
IJ.;1087755 said:
Nylon will work ok :)

You just want something that isn't fluffy/fuzzy so it doesn't leave crap behind when you pull it out.

Rememeber NOT to go nuts on the breaker bar on the crank you just want enough rope cushion to stop the valves falling in.
I used the nylon rope method when i changed out my valve stem seals....worked great.....

But before that I tried using the compressed air and I had a tad too much pressure and it acutally pushed the piston down, I almost lost the valve but managed to grap the tip with my fingers.... I really think I almost s**t my pants when that happened then had a big sigh of relief lol.