Valve cover restoration?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Does anybody know a place where i can get my valve covers restored to OEM? i mean i can do it myself but i want to maintain the same light gold-ish color with the black/red letters and stripes on it, please let me know if you know a place so i can get mine restored while im working on the head, thanks!

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
modmonster2008;1132944 said:
Does anybody know a place where i can get my valve covers restored to OEM? i mean i can do it myself but i want to maintain the same light gold-ish color with the black/red letters and stripes on it, please let me know if you know a place so i can get mine restored while im working on the head, thanks!

I think when they were new the valve covers nice silver aluminum finish not goldish.

Trystripping the paint off, and buy some duplicolor aluminum and refinish em yourself

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
modmonster2008;1133316 said:
sweet, so it was originally silver, but i dont wanna mess up or anything thats why id rather get it done by someone

Do you want me to do a write up on this? I recently Painted a friends Valve Cover using spray paint.

p1133342_1.jpg

So it can be done these are Ssides covers that i painted for him

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
im not sure how that paint will hold up to the heat of the under hood temps but you can try it what i recomend is search through your phone books and lookf for metal finishers or somethign along those lines and look for someone to powder coat them throughly search out their products ebfore you choose a coater make sure their work isnt clumpy or real nasty looking or extremly thick cus my knowledge is that powder coating is either posotively or negitivley chariging the metal not sure which one and shooting it with a very fine powder and than bakeing it but search out your coater before you choose one if you do decide to just paint them use a "high temp" paint it will save it a little or what you can do is find someone to media blast them and paint them and clear coat them multiple times but tis your choice make them look nice arizona performance makes oen that looks liek a 2j cover you can purchase also

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
webbs7mgte;1133471 said:
im not sure how that paint will hold up to the heat of the under hood temps but you can try it what i recomend is search through your phone books and lookf for metal finishers or somethign along those lines and look for someone to powder coat them throughly search out their products ebfore you choose a coater make sure their work isnt clumpy or real nasty looking or extremly thick cus my knowledge is that powder coating is either posotively or negitivley chariging the metal not sure which one and shooting it with a very fine powder and than bakeing it but search out your coater before you choose one if you do decide to just paint them use a "high temp" paint it will save it a little or what you can do is find someone to media blast them and paint them and clear coat them multiple times but tis your choice make them look nice arizona performance makes oen that looks liek a 2j cover you can purchase also

Well he's been driving te car for about 2 months now other than the scratches and knicks that were his fault they still look good. I sprayed a Lot of coats on it and 6 coats of clear.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
SUPERIUM;1134217 said:
MKII style wrinkle finish for me

Wow, that is extremely cool looking. I didnt expect it to come out looking that nice.

I think mine were polished once long ago, but have faded slightly ever since. I just used some simple green on them, and some lesser soaps such as dish soap and run the hose through them.

p1136388_1.jpg

p1136388_2.jpg

Of course, I got them dirty as I put them back in. This is why I didnt take the time to make them look extra pretty other than cleaning them; they are going to get worse over time regardless.
p1136388_3.jpg

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
Stupid input but did you make sure the cover was fully dry then after the hose? because again as we all know oil and water do not mix lol

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
webbs7mgte;1136397 said:
Stupid input but did you make sure the cover was fully dry then after the hose? because again as we all know oil and water do not mix lol

I did, but also touched them with dirty hands/gloves etc. It really didnt matter that much to me regardless; it was something to do until I get it operational again