Value of a built block

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
I've reached a cross road. I can not build the 7mgte to the level I want. I also refuse to cut corners.

That leaves me with my block that I built a few years ago to move on with to allow me to get the new project engine for the shell so I can enjoy the car again. I know my cost of building vs. value to the market is not going to be the same. I have most receipts proving the level of build of the block but not all. What can I expect to get from it? I built it for very high power goals in mind and it has several small modifications that have been used by the machinist on other engines to great success.

The modifications of the block:
Ross pistons (I believe .040 oversized)
Eagle rods, treated with upgraded hardware(I went at length with the machinist, and he believes they are of great quality when PROPERLY prepped and bolts upgraded)
6m crank knife edges extensively (LOTS of weight remove)
Surfaced with front plate on
new oil pump
all new bearings (oem)
Currently I have a lightly ported head bolted to the block.

It's been stored for several years, but inside in a climate controlled area, no rust is prevalent.

Thanks for any advice you guys give, I am going to get detailed build specs and pictures to post for sale shortly, I just am clueless on what to ask.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
$2500 Can.. I sold mine, with JE pistons ans Eagle rods, new oil pump, water pump, timing belt/tensioner etc... for roughly $2800 Can.
Good luck, it was hard for me to sell, and did take some time. I was lucky to find a guy close enough (6 hrs) that I drove the engine to him (in the back seat of a 2000 grand prix hahaa) It was really fun actually, but the suspension was not happy.
eric

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
Stretch;1473411 said:
$2500 Can.. I sold mine, with JE pistons ans Eagle rods, new oil pump, water pump, timing belt/tensioner etc... for roughly $2800 Can.
Good luck, it was hard for me to sell, and did take some time. I was lucky to find a guy close enough (6 hrs) that I drove the engine to him (in the back seat of a 2000 grand prix hahaa) It was really fun actually, but the suspension was not happy.
eric

Was that brand new or previously ran? This has been assembled then it has been waiting.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Stretch;1473411 said:
eric

how the fuck did you get the engine into the backseat?

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
brand new never even test-fit.

The engine was in an engine stand, so what I did was jack the grand prix up a bit to clear the bottom of the back seats, I slid the engine in, and then unmounted it from the stand and lowered the car. It was riding low for sure hahaa. An extra 500lbs in the back is a lot.

This engine:
p1473434_1.jpg

and 3 in-car shots:
p1473434_2.jpg

view from behind car:
p1473434_3.jpg

p1473434_4.jpg

eric

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
nosechunks;1473493 said:
May i ask your plans raven? Sounds like a cool project in the works.

Likely a j series engine for now. This block was actually built with the intent of running a 3 turbo setup. I was going to build a "quick change" manifold so I could go to big events and do well at all three showings. Have a dyno turbo, drag racing turbo and a road racing.

I would spend at least $5,000 in the cylinder head, and I still have a lot more to do.

The car has sat for nearly 5 years, its time to get a heart into it and get back on the road.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
And what is "tech" about this subject?
(It's a hair's breath from being a for sale thread)

Thread moved...pay attention to where you post.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
I recently just bought a built motor from a guy local here the other day for only $1000, as hes going 1uz in his 4runner and sold this to me. Motor sat in his 4runner chasis over some years and has never been ran. 0 miles on rebuild, and he even gave me the receipt for when the block was assembled and cost.
Specs are:
Decked block and head
Titan 1.4mm metal headgasket
ARP Head Stud Kit
Driftmotion heat blocking manifold gasket
Driftmotion oil feed line
Shimmed Oil Pump
Ross .20 over pistons
Clevite Bearings
Brand new Toyota Oil Pump
Machined and resized connecting rods
Brand new Toyota Misc Gaskets in bags
Helicoiled Head Studs
3angle valve job on head
Also while i was there he gave me a free BIC downpipe for ct-26, Two CT-26 turbo, and a greddy blow off valve.
I Guess all in all, it's better to wait for someone to built a motor and buy it from them rather than build your own as you'll save more money that way. Built 7m don't go for much on here.