vaccum line ???

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
i dont really know what its called but on my 90 na, on the stock intake tube there is a vaccuum line on the bottom of the tube where it gets bigger.can that be done away with?wanting to make a custom tube and didnt know

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
I think you are talking about the metal tube (and vacuum hose) that goes into the 3" rubber intake piece from the AFM to the resonator, and down to the power steering vacuum assist idle-up valve. It is plumbed into the intake hose to have a 'clean air' source so dirt does not get into it.
You could easily get/make a little filter for that valve/hose. Like the one that goes onto the 'dashpot' on the throttle plate. Or you could poke a hole an stick it into the new 3" rubber piece you'll be using to attach the new pipe to the throttle body.

Afunk

Jul 12, 2005
No, the piece is used as a vacuum source to compensate for the load given on the engine when turning. It is the Power Steering Vacuum Switching Valve and if your cap it off, you will notice your cars RPM will drop when turning at idle. When driving around you won't really notice it as teh load is negligible in comparison with the total output of the engine at that point.