V160 and Rear Diff Fluids

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Seems to be a ton of misinformation going on concerning which oils to use in the V160 and rear diff. Some are saying only to use the Toyota oil in the V160 and Red Line or Royal Purple in the Diff. None of these arguments that I have read support either view.

Is there any definitive answer out there concerning the use of Royal Purple Synchromax in the V160 or Redline MT fluid? What about the rear diff ? Any suggestions or thoughts or reall analysis would be great !!

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Mike

Found this from a Search here on Supramania. It was a reply you made refering to the V160 fluid.
"There are some fluids that work other than the Toyota one, but you have to be very careful to get the exact right one, or you'll have problems.

If you can't get V160 (i.e. - your local dealer is an idiot, you have to have it running today, etc..) then you can try Royal Purple Synchromax. Other than that, I have not personally used anything else in the V160. I have however seen dozens of MKIV's with fucked up trannys that used other ATF fluids however."

I am assuming from the Synchromax reference you have used it. Do you prefer it or recomend it over the Toyota Fluid ?

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Another from SupraForums

"Getrag and Toyuota specified two oils for the V160: V160 from Toyota at $45/liter and Esso D21065 Dexron II at about $2.95/liter. In engineering qualification testing I doubt that Getrag actually qualified more than one oil and suspect that the V160 is simply the Esso D21065 repackaged. Esso is the overseas name for ExxonMobil. I wouldn't swear it is the same but I seriously doubt that Toyota or any oil company would be producing a special production run of oil for a few thousand vehicles that change the tranny oil on average every 30-50K miles. Only about 4000 6 speeds were produced for North America from 1993-1998 so assumming a tranny oil change ever couple of years thats 4000 liters/year, (1056 gallons or 20 barrels). No oil company is going to do a special production run for 20 barrels a year."

So are we stupid for paying over $55 a litre for the Toyota Brand ?????