2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
RogueSteel;1433134 said:
Mother of god.....haha respect the classics :p
Subbed, I want to see this!

LOL... I wanna see it running too...

Sawbladz;1433135 said:
I see a bunch of badassness at the front of the car but how is this power going to make it's way to the ground? I knew of a Mk1 that was running a 7MGTE and it had severe issues with wheel hop and traction in general. I say I knew of because that car was totaled. This car will be dangerously fast. Hope you can make it safe to drive.

I've heard the turbo mk1 story a bunch.... And I've got to say, it had to have been incorrect suspension setup or driver error. The car itself was not simply "too powerful". I have a pretty well planned out route for making the chassis make the power useable...

The differential mounting is wrong and the pinion angle is weird. That in combination with 30 year old bushings is the main wheel hop problem. A well set up four link is AMAZING at putting power to the ground. A LOT of drag cars use this. I will be doing adjustable four links with spherical end links as well as an adustable lateral rod. I have a set of lakewood camaro adjustable drag shocks to go on the rear. The front suspension will get the AE86 treatment with shortened strut housings and KYB AGX's meant for the rear of an SW20. As far as springs, on the rear there are several compatible options. Fox mustang springs are the appropriate size for the rear, and the selection of spring rate is endless for them. Not sure on front springs yet.

It will be just fine. People build 10 second street cars all the time all over the country and manage not to wreck them because they are too powerful.

RogueSteel;1433158 said:
Makes it sound hella sketch, but I'm sure he can do it!
I mean with how little money he is in there is a good chance safety can be given a good amount of attention. .

Yes I will. I'm trying to keep the budget low as this is SOLELY a toy, and not intended to be used as transportation. It will be built with safety in mind. Most likely caged before its done. I've got a fire suppresion system laying around, and will probably do harnesses also.

Poodles;1433161 said:
Yep, gonna need to strengthen the rear setup a bit...

My understanding is that the differential is the main problem. The axles and ring and pinion appear to be able to handle around 500-550 whp reliably I've been told by many people who have used this differential in corolla projects. A few even have 1uzs in front of them. As for the differential itself in my car - It is a truetrac one of my toyota truck buddies donated.

hottscennessey;1433301 said:
Car doesn't look half bad for being free.

Its got a little rust under the rear bumper and below the gas door, but its pretty straight all in all.

Zerocool;1433313 said:
Looks like fun, what are you doing for engine managment?

Stock ECU and nitrous for now, I have an aem and an emanage blue laying around not being used. I may end up going one of those routes. I personally think the emanage blue will be more than sufficient for the supercharger. Tuning a supercharged engine is much less of a task than a turbocharged one. I won't need two step features or anything like that, as the car is auto and I have no need to build boost from loading the engine.

funky_monkey58;1433321 said:
If I were a betting man, I would say he is likely to go with a maftpro?

Doubt it.

supra90turbo;1433324 said:
You got that right, Scott!

Nice project you got there Gixxer! Good to see some familiar names around still :)
The only thing you should really invest in is a better camera ;)

I'm still around, I just have been super busy.

My 10 Mpixel died. I'm poping shots off with the blackberry. Sorry for the shit quality.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
and yes, I've still got this too..
p1433616_1.jpg

p1433616_2.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, the diff is the weak link from what I've read. I wonder if one of the truck axles might work better or is it the same?

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
spline count is the same, as is the diameter of the axle itself....

or where you talking about the entire rear end assembly? I would have to have it narrowed if so. If I go through that trouble, I'd do a real axle.... Ford 8.8 or 9"

The differential itself is supposed to be the weak link. That has been addressed.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ah, that's what I was wondering, so if it's basicly the same axle you should have plenty of gear ratios to choose from as well.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
doesn't matter here. We have no emissions testing or inspection of mechanical parts.

You got tag/insurance/licence/blinkers/headlights/taillights/turn signals/horn/wipers/and dot tires and you are good to go.. No ticketable offences other than that.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Yeah, I think CA is the only state that has those requirements. Even NY, which is quickly gaining on CA in regards to fewest individual right, let's you do whatever you want under the hood.

BTW, this is AWESOME! Subbed!

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Awesome suspension plan. I didn't know you were going to do this thing properly. Most people would just drop the engine in and call it done. Can't wait to see this complete and on the track.

I also see that the engine is in. Did you complete the wiring? Will it run?

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
this is a sick build! i cant imagine what it would be like seeing one at the drag strip!

last time i was in the stands people didnt know what car a mk3 supra was
( there was another one beside me there, but it had a chevy 454).
some idiot was like "its not a mustang is it?"

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
a little progress in the inside... Not much. Mostly cleaning up and finding things to pull out for a few extra ounces.

car is under 2K pounds as it sits right now.

p1453367_1.jpg

p1453367_2.jpg

p1453367_3.jpg

p1453367_4.jpg

p1453367_5.jpg

p1453367_6.jpg

p1453367_7.jpg