UTI: Universal Technical Institute

shakes91

Oct 18, 2009
miami
I was going to attend UTI but didnt have the money to move and the school was pretty expensive. i've heard many good things about the school but its all mainly on how much mind u put into things.wish i had the money to go.good luck man!

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Poodles;1434684 said:
*Manufacturer sponsored programs available through UTI's CTG division are not considered within the scope of ACCSCT recognition.

Meaning that every one of those manufacturer's programs that are their main draw to their schools, are worthless outside of their school before graduation.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you're taking core classes as well through UTI, I'd keep going and get a degree as a fall back.

Lots of people get burned out of the mechanic business, and a desk job to fall back upon would be a good thing.

garebear1319

Jul 7, 2009
MA
I am currently enrolled in the performance auto and diesel and industrial in UTI and i love the school just stick with it its an amazing experience and you can learn alot if you apply your self. All my instructors have been in the trade for more years then anyone else i know and all come from performance back grounds. No one i have ever met that has graduated talks bad about it Just go and enjoy it.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
garebear1319;1434770 said:
I am currently enrolled in the performance auto and diesel and industrial in UTI and i love the school just stick with it its an amazing experience and you can learn alot if you apply your self. All my instructors have been in the trade for more years then anyone else i know and all come from performance back grounds. No one i have ever met that has graduated talks bad about it Just go and enjoy it.

Thats what Ive been looking for for so long. Someone with a personal experience with the school and not just what they heard or read.

I saw pictures of the school in rancho cucamonga and was amazed on how much they have to offer. I read the packet they gave me back to back and the thing that kept pushing me from the school was the price estimate. I never had anyone that has actual experience with the school to talk to.

I am going to think harder about UTI again because all my future plans are tapping out. Im close to 18 and have been thinking really hard about what to do next but nothing seems to be going my way!

Garebear thanks for the input!

garebear1319

Jul 7, 2009
MA
Yea i understand before i went all i heard was hear say and people telling me i shouldent go and blah blah blah. I decided i had to find out for my self, and took the step i know the tuition seems pretty steep but with FAFSA and all the financial aid they offer especially for someone of your age. Loans are always a good way to go and u have 6 months after the date you graduate before you start paying they off. I dont regret my decision nor would i ever change my mind on the place its a great school with great ppl and they also help you with job placement in and out of school. Take the Leap man and jump in and just remember the harder you work the bigger the reward. Glad i could help and if you have any other questions or anything PM me anytime mang.

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
I'm seriously considering going either when I this contract is up, or if the army decides I'm too fat (yeah, I've got a beer belly). GI bill covers UTI, and pays for housing and books. Also heard UTI has a deal with some of the tool manufacturers to get you a decent starter kit. Anyone have any more details on that?

garebear1319

Jul 7, 2009
MA
The starter kit would be from snap on you also get a 35-50 percent discount on all snap on tools they have financing available to purchase kits when you are enrolled. Also when you graduate i believe they either give u a $1000 or $2000 snap on gift card good where ever snap-on is sold. Though all the teachers will tell you and i know they are right dont worry about tools till your out enless you already work in the field. They supply everything when you are in school and you have to purchase a blue point multimeter which they give u a retarded discount on. Enless you bring in your own and they say you can use it. Any uti questions pm me and ill be more then happy to answer them as i back the school 100%. Im actually leaving for class right now.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
After graduating, they will give you a 1000 dollars towards a starter tool set from snap on. Phoenix has a on campus Napa store, and Snap-on comes throughout the year to the school, I believe you can get student discounts while attending and possibly after graduating. I'm not completely sure on this, but I know they offer a lot of great things. Garebear thanks for the issue, I am the same way, I want to try it out for myself, I'm not going to a school that has a tuition of around 30k to mess around, I'm going to get as much as possible out of the programs, they have a lot to offer. Arizona is the biggest campus I think, over 200,000 sq. ft., hallways almost a 1/4 mile long and all under 1 roof! They have many options to help pay towards tuition, and like garebear said, you have six months to start paying back loans. If you get accepted into a dealership, sometimes they will pay the loans off for you as long as you take their contract, usually 2-3 years at one of the dealerships. I have looked at Wyotech, Lincoln tech, a couple of community colleges that offer programs, all of which are good schools, but for me and my goals I feel UTI has the best program for me. Thanks for all of your guys input. Thanks shakes, best of luck to you and your decisions also man!

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Thanks garebear for clearing that up a little better. Which campus are you at, I don't think you mentioned that? The only thing you need is an ohm meter, and your supposed to buy one from snap-on so you all have the same one. Only $1000 towards tools. You don't need to buy tools until you figure out what job you will be doing after you graduate. No point in buying tool until you find out what you will need.

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
I disagree with no point in buying tools. You can always use tools. Just no point in getting a GM OBDII scanner if you work on Mazda or Toyota all day. general mech stuff is always excellent. Hmm... now I have the urge to price impact sockets... Damn if it's not an hour drive to Harbor Freight...

garebear1319

Jul 7, 2009
MA
Im at the norwood mass campus home of the Mercedes masters program and the like i just got home and just like everyday feel so full on information i have attended community collages and could not pay attention the hands on envornment is exactly what i needed.

garebear1319

Jul 7, 2009
MA
yes tools are great i agree but you don't necessarily nee snap on tools and thats what they try to push on you from school. But decisions are different for everyone im not hateing just educating haha

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
yes, no need for Snap-on there are a lot of other nice tools too. They probably picked snap-on because they know they have a good name and they are one of the more exspensive brands, so they can make money. I meant by no need to buy tools first by you never know exactly what your going to get into, say you take the auto and diesel and you bought just basic car tool set but the only job you can find is in diesel, which some/most times they use different tools, bigger. You will always need the basic tools though but when your in college and short on money imo I think it would be smarter to wait until you have space to keep the tools and know what tools you will need and save up for them. Great to hear garebear, I cannot wait for school to end here and start there! It will actually feel like I'm starting to go somewhere with my future.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I found out today, but my bosses son went here, his dad paid for it, he did a lazy job here, didnt get accepted into any of the better tech programs, bought all kinds of snap on tools. Now hes broke, still trying to pay off his tools, tuition and motorcycle with no job living with his dad. I was talking to my boss about it yesterday, although he approved and told me it was an excellent idea, he told me what happens when you get lazy at the school.

I've ben looking at it and Im gonna call another recruiter to get me set up pretty soon, maybe some time at the beginning of next month when my contract is up and im finally 18

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Nice, yea you can't get lazy at a school like that, it costs too much. I would only go to the school if you are really serious about it.