Using the Aristo Automatic transmission

89jdmsupra

Mar 30, 2005
NYC
Ok guys i've searched and searched but can't find anything i wanna use the 2jz auto on my mkiii but not sure how to go about it.. anyone here who as done it any help will do good

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
the tailshaft is slightly different (flanges/speedo linkup), but you can change that easily. I put an Aristo transmission in my girlfriend's MKIII (but it has a 2JZ-GE motor).

took me maybe 20 min to swap everything I needed over.

Jeff

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
I used the stock 7M-GTE transmission rear housing, stock 7mgte speedo reluctor, stock 7mgte transmission crossmember, and 7M-gte driveshaft, all bolted on the Aristo trans.

(and the 2JZ-GE automatic electronics/valve body from the N/A Supra the motor came out of)

Jeff

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Interesting I thought you had to have an electronic speed sensor fed to the ECU? I was going to do the same but doesnt the speed sensor also control the shifting of the transmission? Maybe there is a difference because your running a GE vs GTE

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
You only need one of the speed sensors. The front one I think the second one is for the electric speedo, and the cruise control. On the 7M the cruise control gets its signal (I think) from the dash cluster. I don't have the cruise hooked up at this point, but my girl has been driving the car for over a year without problems.

Jeff

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i've been thinking about using the aristo tranny on my SC300...im going na-t and looking for an auto tranny that can stand some power....~350hp.

any ideas?

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
The stock GE transmission will hold 350rwhp if you do the valve body shim mods, and bump up the line pressure. And the GTE version, wired up to work with the GE ECU and the valve body shim mods will hold 400+ easy.

I'd start by shimming your existing transmission, and run that, with a HUGE transmission cooler. You'll prolly last a while... And start saving for the GTE Aristo trans, shim and valve update it, and maybe get a torque converter changed over so it's a higher stall, and it'll take time, but it'll be fairly cheap.

I don't remember all the stuff I did to use the Aristo trans in the GE car (I had a friend walk be though it over a year ago)

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Well i found out that my problem is that I have the Aristo tranny and the 2jzge tranny has the slip spline like the 7m does that is why it is able to be converted. As for the actual aristo tranny that comes with the 2jzgte it has a 3 bolt pattern that is bolted on the the output shaft.

2jzge
14tny9.jpg

Aristo
sm_photo_missing.jpg

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Does anyone know the difference between the Aristo transmission and the MKIV transmission? (both from the 2jz-gte versions)

Are the plugs the same? Can both accept the rear housing of the 7mGTE A340 to retain speedometer drive and original drive shaft?

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
No it cannot accept the rear housing because the output shaft is not long enough for it. I found it more work to do auto both wiring and parts. You will have to have a custom driveshaft made with a slip in it because the transmission doesnt have a slip yoke on the end. Also you will have to make the adapter flange for the 3 bolt to mate up too. Plus I had to have my tranny mount modified to make it fit also. I just bit the bullet and went 5 speed cause it cost me only 300 more in the long run...

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
When I looked back I actually installed a 2JZ-GE transmission (which is slip yoke), and everything bolted up just fine. 2jz-ge ecu/engine/trans all out of a NA MKIV Supra.

I did an Aristo swap at the same time, and got them confused. It's a lot more work to use the Aristo trans.

Jeff

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Yes, the 2jz-GE (non turbo) transmission accepts the rear housing from the 7m-gte A340 with no issues. That is exactly what I did on my girlfriend's Automatic 2JZ-GE MKIII (her car used to be a turbo Automatic MKIII).

Eventually we'll figure out how to drop an Aristo trans (or make it a stic), and then turbo it, but it's pretty darned peppy as it is, and it cruises at 80 far too easily.

Jeff