using synthetic ='s turbo oil seals failure???

Heatmiser

Jul 20, 2007
Nashville
any truth to this?

i have done a fair share of reading about synthetic vs dino oil and maybe i missed it but.... just wanting some input or a good link to info

thanks

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
i dont believe so. some people think that it can cause oil leaks because after changing to synthetic, theres new leaks, or the leaks they already have, got worse. I believe, correct me if im wrong, this is because the synthetic is so viscous that it causes leaks to appear worse, but does not cause leaks itself.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
suprahabsfan;1039837 said:
i dont believe so. some people think that it can cause oil leaks because after changing to synthetic, theres new leaks, or the leaks they already have, got worse. I believe, correct me if im wrong, this is because the synthetic is so viscous that it causes leaks to appear worse, but does not cause leaks itself.

If im not mistaken (someone correct me if im wrong please) dino oil with time builds up deposits on your old, worn down gaskets, seals, etc. Any of them that might be about to break may still be held together with these already formed deposits.

Now, full synthetic motor oil has more detergents. Meaning a cleaner motor. Clean out the old deposits, and the seals will break causing leaks. I recommend a full engine flush, inspect for any leaks, fix the leaks (new gaskets/seals), and use full synthetic. thats what im going to be doing anyways.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
MA70witBoost;1040162 said:
If im not mistaken (someone correct me if im wrong please) dino oil with time builds up deposits on your old, worn down gaskets, seals, etc. Any of them that might be about to break may still be held together with these already formed deposits.

Now, full synthetic motor oil has more detergents. Meaning a cleaner motor. Clean out the old deposits, and the seals will break causing leaks. I recommend a full engine flush, inspect for any leaks, fix the leaks (new gaskets/seals), and use full synthetic. thats what im going to be doing anyways.

Lower grade dino oil will coke due to residual heat at shut down...the Grp III hydrocracked dino oils are much better at NOT doing this. The PAO (Grp IV) and ester (Grp V) oils are "true" synthetics...they do not coke. If you get deposits in your turbo oil passages form normal running, it's more likely due to using a crappy filter.

Synthetic oils do not have more detergents...if fact, they have less. That goes for viscosity modifiers as well. The base stock used in these oils already are very good at keeping engines clean and stay in viscosity naturally. That means you have more oil by volume per quart to keep your engine lubricated.

You are correct about engine seals, but it's the base oil that does it. The seals already have to be worn and the deposits the only thing keeping a leak at bay.