using exhaust pipe for intercooler piping?

futeki_supra

Nov 18, 2006
lincoln, NE
sorry if this has been covered before, I did search....

I think I am going to go to the exhaust shop and get a piece of pipe to replace my stock upper IC pipe, I plan to keep the 3000 pipe,
I was wondering if there was anyreasons this wouldnt work,
should I go with 2.5" ?

thanks for the help

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I did that for my lower piping a while back, but it isn't the prettiest piece when you're done. I have now bought a kit from www.driftmotion.com and did my own, and they look great. 2.5" is what I used. The kit from driftmotion looks alot better and is alot lighter............good luck.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Yea just find a welder and buy the kit from Driftmotion. I personally have the Aluminum hardpipe kit from SupraSport. Totally worth every penny IMO. 2.5'' really all you're gonna need with the stock and most streetable upgrades.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
suprahero said:
I did that for my lower piping a while back, but it isn't the prettiest piece when you're done. .

Exhaust pipe looks great polished.:)

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
FUTEKI i just did my 2.5 hardpipes out of exhaust piping, all mandrel bends are from an exhaust piping left at a shop no biggie little sanding and a good high temp paint and ill look great. Ill try to post some pics ooohh by the way comprare prices from the kits that are sold and the price that the shop charges. How much are they charging you? i had my done before i went to the dyno 300rwhp and 347ft/lbs of torque check out the dyno sheet on the sticky on top mods are there too. good luck

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
CryoSlash said:
would it dissipate heat fast enough tho.

After the IC, steel or SS is actually better then aluminum because of its slower thermal conductivity rate. Once cooled by the IC, (unless you running like 25psi or more) the charge air is actually 9 times out of 10 going to be colded then the engine bay air so if using aluminum, the hotter engine bay air will radiate through the aluminum pipe and heat the charge air (not good). The opposite is the case with the piping pre IC. So a perfect set up would have aluminum from the turbo to the IC and steel from the IC to the TB.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
im using all steel piping. dynomax u bends from local parts store. works amazing. stock intercooler and 10 psi, i could grab my upper hard pipe after 2 dyno runs and it was still cold.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
just make sure you coat it with some sort of paint, or powdercoating, otherwise it'll get blemishes on it....... but im sure u knew that

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Yes, steel throughout would not be a problem, but as i stated before Aluminum between the turbo and IC would be best.

Best of the best would be aluminum turbo to IC and stainless from IC to TB.

i988supra

Aug 9, 2006
yonkers
suprahero said:
I did that for my lower piping a while back, but it isn't the prettiest piece when you're done. I have now bought a kit from www.driftmotion.com and did my own, and they look great. 2.5" is what I used. The kit from driftmotion looks alot better and is alot lighter............good luck.

did the kit from driftmotion come with enough piping for youre hole ic set up?

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
I had all of mine done with exaust pipe. Then I went to summit and got some heat rap and rapped the ones from the IC to the TB.