using etanol on supras

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
well like 2 weeks ago i put half tank of ethanol and half tank of 89 octane gas and the car seem to get more power and more mpg, plus ethanol is cheaper :)

is it a good idea?
have any1 here tried before ?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
How about more detail, since US pumps are typically 10% anyway. You gain no power from a fuel with lower BTU content, all else being equal. If you are running 89 all the time in your Supra Turbo, you are losing power from stock. The ethanol, if you found something a little higher, will raise octane rating, getting you closer back to stock.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Bad idea. While ethanol can be a great fuel for tuners your fuel system and engine control needs to be upgraded. To do it right you need larger injectors and fuel pump sometimes need to uprade lines and filters for better flow and need to run a standalone.

Gas is Stoich at 14.7:1
IIRC Ethanol is Stoich at 9:1

Somebody correct me if im wrong about the ethanol afr, but its something close to that. Just running ethanol in there with no mods could result in a retardedly lean condition.

BTW most of the cost savings are outweighed by the additional consumption.

Your increase in power was probably founded by 89 octane is insufficient, and the ethanol increased the octane reading.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
30% mix of e85 summer blend with pump 93 (says up to 10%ethanol on the pump) leaned me out over a point in af ratios. Not something i would do with out a wideband at the very least for wot. Stock ecu will do what it can do keep vf's inline but i had to increase fuel psi to get things happy. Ive said my piece about converting to full e85 already but for tuning, a stock map with e 85 is going to cut mpg's, not increase.

if a wideband is setup to display lambda in gasoline scale, it doesnt matter what fuel you run. At stoich you'll see 14.7 and you still shoot for 11's-12's at wot or what ever your goal is.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
You need about 30% more fuel if you're running ethanol in place of regular gas, something that your stock ecu isn't taking into account. Since you mixed it with gas it's not that bad, but it's not really a good solution.
If you ran regular premuim gas like you're supposed to you probably wouldn't have noticed much change.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Strictly from Toyota's perspective, my owners manual says 15% is the maximum alcohol content in fuel.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mkIIIman089;1466814 said:
Strictly from Toyota's perspective, my owners manual says 15% is the maximum alcohol content in fuel.

Can you scan that info? I haven't seen it. Then again, I haven't dealt with automotive in some time.

toy_dremer

uneek Supra
Oct 7, 2009
Weston, WI
Remember, that gas stations say up too, that doesn't mean there is exactly 10% in there. Besides like lewis said, it is corrosive and will eat up seals on engines not designed to run it. I found a gas station that doesn't have it at all. I use that at every fill up.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Nick M;1467063 said:
Can you scan that info? I haven't seen it. Then again, I haven't dealt with automotive in some time.

I misquoted actually, I thought I remembered it reading 15%, in fact we are already at the max allowable with 10% ethanol.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Toyota89AlcoholFuels.jpg
    Toyota89AlcoholFuels.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 64

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
remkye08;1467215 said:
what about a mix of 90 pct gas and 10 pct ethanol? it wont eat ur tubes because there is a bigger amount of regular gas

correct me if im wrong

grimreaper;1466530 said:
30% mix of e85 summer blend with pump 93 (says up to 10%ethanol on the pump) leaned me out over a point in af ratios. Not something i would do with out a wideband at the very least for wot. Stock ecu will do what it can do keep vf's inline but i had to increase fuel psi to get things happy. Ive said my piece about converting to full e85 already but for tuning, a stock map with e 85 is going to cut mpg's, not increase.

if a wideband is setup to display lambda in gasoline scale, it doesnt matter what fuel you run. At stoich you'll see 14.7 and you still shoot for 11's-12's at wot or what ever your goal is.

Also remember that they're using additives so that 10% they're using to raise the octane rating doesn't eat your fuel system.

Personally, I wouldn't, the risk of going lean and causing damage far outweighs a little saving at the pump...

EDIT: you also have a thread on your engine making noise, maybe it's DETONATION from doing this...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I'm putting up the :bsflag: on better MPG.
E85 takes more fuel to make the same power. Hint: why it requires 30% MORE then regular pump gas. I think your math shills are off a little.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
Poodles;1467236 said:
Also remember that they're using additives so that 10% they're using to raise the octane rating doesn't eat your fuel system.

Personally, I wouldn't, the risk of going lean and causing damage far outweighs a little saving at the pump...

EDIT: you also have a thread on your engine making noise, maybe it's DETONATION from doing this...

oh no bro isnt from that i did it once and the problem started like 3-4 weeks after that

and my friend who own a civic he is doing it too for a month already and nothing happens to him

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ civics arent the same. Take a small step back and realize not everything that works on a honda will work on a late 80's supra..