Using Content From this site?

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
who do i need to ask for permission to use content off this site? I want to bring some of the tech information into easier searchable content over on MK3Supra.net. If i just put down the author of the thread is that enough?
btw didnt know what section this needed to be in
Thanks,
Alex

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
After considerable discussion between the mods & admins, we've come to the following conclusion:

The only way it is acceptable to use content from this site is:

1. Contact each author individually and ask them what they want. As an example, several of our staff members who have written a vast number of technical writeups have expressed that they don't want thier work on another site, and SM is where they have chosen to publish it. I for one do not want my writings echoed elswhere. This site is what I have chosen to put my time, money and effort into.

2. You can feel free to link to content here on SM, however we do not wish our content copied to another site. The staff in general does not support the idea of more fragmentation in the MKIII commmunity and as such does not feel the need for another site.

3. The presence of Google advertising all over your site did influence our decisions somewhat. Those ads make your site "commercial" in our eyes.

The ads themselves are junk IMO, and not truly targeted for the Supra community. They are generic "junk" for the most part. On the 1st page load I got:

• ads for myspace.com
  • ads to "meet sexy girls"
  • ad for suprastore.com - probably the worst parts vendor for our cars in the business.
  • new car ads
  • One supra related link that went to a search engine spam site
  • Myspace informational sites about child abuse on the internet
  • Ad for privacy invasion software
  • Sites advertising "free" things that aren't

We honestly don't want our site an/or content assoicated with this junk. However we can't/won't try to stop you from linking to our content.

Feel free to contact individual authors for permission to copy thier work, they truly are the ones who have the final say as to where thier work goes.

Regards,

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
Thanks for the detailed response back... I agree with you on the google ads but they do help me pay for the site to be up. I am a college kid that makes less than 10k a year living on my own. I guess i will have to write my own articles as i do stuff to my car... Like this weekand an article on rebuilding a caliper with part #'s and pics should be up...

Also i am not trying to compete with SM at all. I don't have a forum over on my site and just want it to bring the community closer not seperate it...

N

NDBoost

If supramania is so concerned about fragmentation(too many supra communities) why hasn't any further steps been taken to improve the archiving and the writeups and improve the ease of use to find hard technical information?

Supramania is more of a community rather than a place to read techtips and articles for items. I see supramania as a place for people to ask questions about what they read. I think supramania needs to either step up to the plate and start collaborating with some higher up members etc and come out with an ACTUAL FAQ/Tech Tips Section, either that or offer up the permission to use the content off the forum. But, if mk3supra.net is another community and NOT a tech tips/information site then i see no TRUE use for it. I think we need a site thats dedicated to BOTH(1 community, 1 FAQ Site) or one(which has it all in one), not 2 or 3 of the same site.

As far as ad's go i am in mixed waters with this. Ad's do greatly help pay for things and if its done tactfully it isn't a pain. But its your site and your aloud to do what you wish.

Origionally when i started supra-tsrm.com what i mentioned above was exactly what it was. a place to read pertinant data on supras. There were no discussions or "community" it was strictly a place to read on the cars. As well as download pdf's and tsrm's of supras. I dropped the project because i didn't have alot of free time but given if i had more help from people submitting data i will work on it again

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
I think my site is a community site but based on a different aspect. I find my site as a way for people to view each other cars easier and find information about what they have done, leave comments and send messages. A lot like myspace which i must add has TONS TONS more ads on their site and distracts more.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
It would be really nice if you volunteered to team up with SupraMania to make the ultimate MK3 "space" on the internet. The hosting is paid for and you could put your talents to greater use.

Otherwise, I wish you luck. Google ads are VERY annoying. They can't be paying you very much. You are better off getting paid from Vendors and tossing the google ads.

I for one will not want to visit the site just based on the Google ads. I hate them with a passion.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I have a content website with message forums (unlrelated to cars)

but it generates me $200-1000/month just from people clicking Google Adwords and affiliate links, depending on the season (Christmas time makes the most money).

I also optimize my own websites to rank high in search engines to get natural unpaid rankings and visitors.

I can tell you if someone copied my content I'd be very pissed because:

#1 they could potentially put ads or affiliate links on their website with my content and therefor steal my ad revenue

#2 when search engines rank websites, they do not tend to rank duplicate content (for example 500 websites that are spammy and all have the same content or sell the same stuff... only 1 will rank high and the others get booted out or pushed down really low). So if someone did copy my content and Google or Yahoo or whatever thought I was not the original creator of the content for whatever reason, I could potentially get a duplicate content penalty and lose my rankings and traffic (and revenue).

Let me tell you if you want to make a content website and somehow monetize your traffic, all you can really do is get a very high quality website with unique content, get the content listed in search engines and ranking well for highly trafficed search terms, put up some ads or affiliate links (call up HPF or Summit, I'm sure they have an affiliate program) and then off you go. It's not as easy as it sounds though, and for supra-related products/content and possible revenue from ads/affiliate commissions, you're not going to get rich anytime soon :) So you may want to try another industry that gets more visitors and clicks or perhaps just stick with making a supra hobby website.

Good luck!

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
Im not in it to make much money. I was just wanting some unique for the community and i think i did that. I was not planning on taking anyones work and crediting as mine.
This is why i posted this thread before using any content! I would love to make that much money from google ads ^^ right now its under $20 which helps pay for my internet bill.

I plan on making money else where like born said about making soemthing where more people will use it..

I want my site to be just for mk3 supra owners

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
NDBoost said:
If supramania is so concerned about fragmentation(too many supra communities) why hasn't any further steps been taken to improve the archiving and the writeups and improve the ease of use to find hard technical information?

OK, I guess my question would be why haven't YOU?

We all volunteer what we can to keep this place running. I provide the server, the bandwith and administration. Our mod staff works hard at keeping this place under control.

I own the webhosting company this site runs on, we have virtually unlimited resources when it comes to bandwidth and server space. If you want to take on a project like this, I'll be more than glad to provide the resources to do so. :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
NDBoost said:

Supramania is more of a community rather than a place to read techtips and articles for items. I see supramania as a place for people to ask questions about what they read. I think supramania needs to either step up to the plate and start collaborating with some higher up members etc and come out with an ACTUAL FAQ/Tech Tips Section, either that or offer up the permission to use the content off the forum. But, if mk3supra.net is another community and NOT a tech tips/information site then i see no TRUE use for it. I think we need a site thats dedicated to BOTH(1 community, 1 FAQ Site) or one(which has it all in one), not 2 or 3 of the same site.

As far as ad's go i am in mixed waters with this. Ad's do greatly help pay for things and if its done tactfully it isn't a pain. But its your site and your aloud to do what you wish.

Origionally when i started supra-tsrm.com what i mentioned above was exactly what it was. a place to read pertinant data on supras. There were no discussions or "community" it was strictly a place to read on the cars. As well as download pdf's and tsrm's of supras. I dropped the project because i didn't have alot of free time but given if i had more help from people submitting data i will work on it again

-Mike

actually I have begun brain dumping here and on MKIIItech.net on very very specific tech articles (check out my how to calculate dwell time in the general forum ;) ). Of course the only people that might understand or CARE about those articles I posted are

tech-head like myself, jetlock, Supracentral, DrJonez, IJ. etc
people needing to figure out a ceratin number because of thier standalones
People needing a refresheer for standalone installs
or someone wanting to learn something new ;)

I do so without prejudice, just something to share for people wanting to learn. :)