Uses of a Torque Plate?

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Ok, I was wondering really what a Torque Plate can be used for on a 7M. Haven't been able to find any machine shops down here in the south florida/miami area but have found a place that sells em for the 7M and am concidering getting one If its really needed. My bottom end is already overbored but going to be undergoing a basic rebuild... any tips or advice?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
MA70witBoost;1558289 said:
Ok, I was wondering really what a Torque Plate can be used for on a 7M. Haven't been able to find any machine shops down here in the south florida/miami area but have found a place that sells em for the 7M and am concidering getting one If its really needed. My bottom end is already overbored but going to be undergoing a basic rebuild... any tips or advice?

The main purpose of a torque plate is to simulate the same load tensions and controlled stresses that the head puts on the block so when you hone your cylinders everything is in alignment. If your motor is already machined, it's not going to do much for you...

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Supracentral;1558305 said:
The main purpose of a torque plate is to simulate the same load tensions and controlled stresses that the head puts on the block so when you hone your cylinders everything is in alignment. If your motor is already machined, it's not going to do much for you...

you say hone... If im going to be installing new rings, dont I have to hone the cylinders? Sorry, dont have much heavy line know how.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
hvyman;1558378 said:
MA70witBoost;1558375 said:
you say hone... If im going to be installing new rings, dont I have to hone the cylinders? Sorry, dont have much heavy line know how.

Yes you do if you want the rings to seat properly.

hvyman is correct. I misread your post, I thought you had already finished machine work. The torque plate will help ensure accuracy when honing the cylinders.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
At this point it all depends on what sort of hone is going to be used, something like a Sunnen I'd use a Torque plate but if you're using a hand held flex hone to deglaze the cyliners it'd be a waste of time and effort as it's not going to be round or straight.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
IJ.;1558392 said:
At this point it all depends on what sort of hone is going to be used, something like a Sunnen I'd use a Torque plate but if you're using a hand held flex hone to deglaze the cyliners it'd be a waste of time and effort as it's not going to be round or straight.

Sunnen? Huh? ok, Explain Ian. I have access to tools from Mac/Matco/Snap On at my dealership and can get creative need be. We had used a flexible hone w/ three stones on it befor to remove deglaze the cylinder but I didn't end up using that short block.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
A Sunnen hone is a type of honing machine that typically has a stone on a shaft with 2 or more contact points to center on the inside of the cylinder. For automotive honing the sunenn hone recipricates and rotates at the same time to create the desired hatch pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0XnA_fwyU

good video! with the exception of the fact that the guy dosen't check for our of roundness the first time he checks it with the bore guage. He just assumes it's right. lol. Then he yanks it out of the bore and you can hear the guage snap back out loud. There's no way that bore guage is going to read the same after that...... Then he holds onto the profilometer head while trying to get a reading, and doesn't clean off the lube (how can you get a roughness average on a lubricated surface!)....this guy is kind of a hack but it's a good basic idea of how the sunnen works

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Keep in mind due to the hard iron Toyota use the Hone job is critical and dependant on the ring set chosen to set the crosshatch angle and grade of stone used, as I said for a quick deglaze a toilet brush hone is about as good as you're going to get, a tri stone isn't going to conform to the cylinder and will take highs off and miss the lows.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
IJ.;1558392 said:

Sounds like i should stay away from a hand held flex hone... or am i mistaken. Used one on the other short block i had rebuilt but not gotten to use. (Nevermind, posted after reply was given.)

What kinda hone would you recommend Ian? A Sunnen? Thinking about getting the torque plate and taking it and my block to a reputable machine shop that works on lower ends down here in SFL and asking if i can see the process as its being done. I haven't been having much luck with machine shops. Most of the ones I've found only do cylinder heads.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I'd get some really careful measurements taken on both the block and pistons, if you have to honed on a machine it may end up out of spec and have piston slap when cold, if it's just a deglaze you're after a light go with a flex hone will suffice.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
you can use a tooth brush but you might be there for like about 15 years remember use tooth past too

ebondragon87

Nov 6, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
The torque plate is used when boring and honing is done because metal is obviously being taken off and you need to simulate the cylinder head being mounted to the engine to get correct fitment. If you are not having the motor bored then the flex hone works just fine since you are only tweaking the cross hatching not completely re-doing it. If you are using the flex hone to the point where you need to be worried about your piston walls not being in spec then you are doing it wrong.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
MA70witBoost;1559680 said:
For a basic rebuild, shouldn't all I need be a cylinder deglaze?

All depends on how the bores Mic up.

For a general tart up yeah a deglaze will suffice but for Turbo engines I rarely go that route unless I'm sure of the history.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
IJ.;1559866 said:
All depends on how the bores Mic up.

For a general tart up yeah a deglaze will suffice but for Turbo engines I rarely go that route unless I'm sure of the history.

ok... what do you mean by knowing the history of the motor? I know its been rebuilt roughly 60k ago... then again, this is second hand info and kinda why im also tearing appart the motor to verify and fix any problems.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
History of a engine as if it was beaten to a bloddy pulp and then rebuilt or grandma'd to the store once a week.

1 will wear the f out of a engine and the other prolly wont even break in.