Use propane instead of C02? Just a thought...

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
I was into airsoft for quite a while before I found it too expensive to continue. With my guns I always used c02 to propell my BB's. I had heard of using propane instead of c02 because it is a crap load cheaper. I know that some of you spray c02 on your intercoolers to reduce temps, so why not use propane?

I figured if I found a few small tanks of propane with some sort of release valve I could just flip the switch and spray my intercooler whenever I wanted. Its like buying an Ntercooler kit without paying $400 for it.

Propane does contain alot of butane though. Will this effect it in a negative way?

Just food for thought...

Draken

Jan 8, 2006
michigan
what size CO2 tank are you looking for? Just about any sporting goods store has 9oz up to 20 oz CO2 tanks for paintball, and they have burst disks on them to keep the tank from blowing up on you, and have a simple pin valve that screws into an ASA (air source adapter) of which you can get them with an on/off built into them...wouldn't be hard to setup at all

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Co2 and N2o are "cold" gases, I don't think propane is so I don't think you would get much of a cooling effect. And it would just be a matter of time before you blew yourself up :biglaugh: They sell Co2 and N2o sprayer kits, why not just buy one of them?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Draken

Jan 8, 2006
michigan
jimi87-t said:
Co2 and No2 are "cold" gases, I don't think propane is so I don't think you would get much of a cooling effect. And it would just be a matter of time before you blew yourself up :biglaugh: They sell Co2 and No2 sprayer kits, why not just buy one of them?

Just wondering, how much does that kit run? Have been thinking about doing this to my TMIC for my subie

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Propane is cold when released from the bottle, but you would be a fool to ride around with a bomb inside your car.

Draken

Jan 8, 2006
michigan
Kyle87T said:
You are are missing what I was saying. I dont plan on running any type of bottle in my car. I just simply said I could take a bottle of c02 or propane and just spray it on the intercooler by hand.

Your best bet would be a paintball CO2 tank then, they are cheap <$25, then an ASA can be had on e-bay for under $10, then the 1/8 NPT fittings to make what ever kind of nozzle you want for it

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
light bulb!

get an air to water system like this with ver little piping to reduce lag and supposedly air to water intercooler flow well but they do heat soak, but you could add a seperate a/c system to cool the water on demand to like 50 degrees or so.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
jamesdem1123 said:
propane = R 290. its a refrigerant. therefore it is cold, but its also flammable. diesel people use propane injection kinda like water injection, to cool the intake charge directly while also adding another source of fuel. not a bad idea as an intercooler but you'll need to add mor air, too.

you can actually make an a/c system using propane if you want

They dont just use it as a cooling effect they use it almost the same way a gas car uses nitrous. (this is what i hear anyway)

And It would not be a good idea to use during car running but i dont know about when the car is off and your just spraying manualy but at that rate if you going to go it manualy why not buy 20oz CO2 bottles and spray it everywhere to cool not just the intercooler but also everything else. keeping in mind at cooling somethings too much will crack it.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Kyle87T said:
You are are missing what I was saying. I dont plan on running any type of bottle in my car. I just simply said I could take a bottle of c02 or propane and just spray it on the intercooler by hand.

Oh, I see, I've seen people at the track do this with Co2 and nitrous tanks. I still wouldn't do it with propane.

And I didn't know propane was cold. But I wouldn't want it around my engine;)

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Draken said:
Your best bet would be a paintball CO2 tank then, they are cheap <$25, then an ASA can be had on e-bay for under $10, then the 1/8 NPT fittings to make what ever kind of nozzle you want for it

Ya I think I will do that. Unfortunately I dont know anything about paintball guns. I dont even know how I will make an ASA work with a c02 tank. Care to explain?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
RE: jamesdem:

lol, that's porterz car... never thought anyone would use it for any illustrative purpose, but I always found his setup very clever.
I have to hand it to him.. his car, however haggard, worked well.
I want to experiment with an AWIC setup someday. probably on my subaru :D

Draken

Jan 8, 2006
michigan
Kyle87T said:
Ya I think I will do that. Unfortunately I dont know anything about paintball guns. I dont even know how I will make an ASA work with a c02 tank. Care to explain?

an ASA is just a small part that the CO2 tank screws into, some are direct pin pushers (not what you want) and some have on/off valves (what you want)

Could go this route and have a host already on it, just screws onto the tank and has an on/off already built in, or could go this route and design your own nozzle system for it, all fittings on this are 1/8 NPT and easy enough to find in any hardware store