Status
Not open for further replies.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I used to use Armoral on everything, then switched to Meguiars. Now I use Aerospace 303 and it's the best for sure. (And I don't get that nasty residue on my windshield like GrimJack mentioned.

You want your windows to be wicked clear? Here's what I do:

1) Wash window with just some water/carwash soap.
2) Use Aquapel glass cleaner. It leaves no streaks at all.
3) Griot's Garage windshield clay bar. It's a denser compound- don't use it on paint, but it pulls everything off the window and makes wipers last longer!
4) Aquapel glass cleaner again
5) Aquapel water repellant (it's like Rain-X but lasts WAY longer. I've had it last nearly six months in a single treatment. It's awesome.

You could take it a step further and polish the glass with an orbital buffer, but I've never found the need to. Use the Aquapel glass cleaner on the interior windows too. I often walk by my pickup (non tinted windows) and think I left my windows open. LOL.

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
I have used amorall for over 20 years on the car and I have never had a problem. Upper door liner still looks brand new. The car has had limited exposure to the sun. But the amorall never caused any cracking or drying out. May try meg's. I am think of putting a nice decal from FASTDECALS.com on the upper door liner. Something chrome with blue outline. Car has chrome strips on the outside to protect the bumpe3rs. Any thoughts... or should I just leave it alone?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, I'd say that other than the wheels, chrome anything on a Supra looks pretty out of place...

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
I hear what you are saying. The car is dark navy blue. I put some 3M chrome strips 3/4 inch around the front and rear bumper. Helps protect bumper if anyone backs into it. The rear bumper, especially the sides are very vulnerable to those parking lot scuffs. Also have chrome door edge guards. And chrome license plates. So there is a lot of chrome on the car and it is a bit over the top, but over all looks pretty nice. Maybe I will take some of it off. But tell your buddies, taking 3M strips off your car is very, very difficult. You need to soak with alot of goo gone, wd 40 and carefully remove. If you are not careful it is easy to take off clear coat/paint. Since I lost my girlfriend, I have had too much time to play with my car. Need to find someone else. But have had people back into front bumper, and doesn't take much to crack paint. I wanted something there to protect it. Will probably take some chrome off.....carefully.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Aww man, that sounds like a headache and a half to me... now that you mention cracked paint on the bumper though, makes me wonder if someone backed into the Mk2 at some point, it has a nice little spot where it's all spider-ed on the top of the bumper. Any chance of being more selective where you park to maybe help with being backed into? I see you're in New York, not sure where exactly, but a trip to NYC last year helped me learn WHY they call them "bumpers" after watching a guy get his Caddy out of a spot with maybe 6" on either side of the car... :nono:

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
Guess you have more room in Wyoming Brad. I live out in the 'burbs,so it is easier to find parking. But I live with a lot of rich a holes who don't care about your property. I still have to be careful where to park it. Very easy to get dinged or have someone hit you bumper and get that spider cracking. A scratch you can polish out or touch up, a spider crack the whole thing needs to be repainted. Had repair on upper door liner vinyl. Guy did nice repair, good grain match, but color is too light. The upper door liner on the other side(passenger) is a dark navy blue. This guy painted my driver side a light sky blue. This is the second time this guy had tried to fix it. If we can' get the driver's side the proper original dark color, I may ask him to paint passenger side same light blue color. At least that way it will match. I prefer to get it back to the original color, but my guy may not be able to do it. Any thoughts?

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
By city, I guess you mean Manhattan. The cars are parked like sardines. I never take my car into the city. I use public transportation.Upper door liner problem has been going on for two months. The driver side is a light sky blue which now matches the dashboard, but passenger side is a dark navy blue and so is the back. I want driver side to be the way it was......a dark navy blue. I am thinking of painting it myself but that is risky. I guess you need adhesion promoter, proper color. Any thoughts? Does anyone know the steps involved in painting vinyl? Is a clear necessary afterwards? THanks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I don't remember where exactly we were in the city, but I think it might have been Brooklyn. We were there for a concert at BAM Howard Gillman Opera House... Was alright I suppose, but the hell with parking there. Can't have nice things some places...

And yes, we do have plenty of room here, nobody in their right mind really wants to live here. ;)

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
i use Meguiars Hyper Dressing.....spectacular results guys, i buy tha gallon and pour some into a spray bottle dilute it with some water the shine and proection lasts forever..been using it for years now...interior still looks brand new.... definately a recommendation for the SM Forum

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
I know amorall can darken over many years of use. Also heard Meguiars Natural shine can darken color. Also olive oil. I just want to darken the blue one or two shades without using paint. Any thoughts?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I used Meguiars once and I was so happy with the way my dash looked, till my dash split right above the gauges a week later :-/ don't know if that's what did it but it seemed fine before that.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
kelson;1788421 said:
I used Meguiars once and I was so happy with the way my dash looked, till my dash split right above the gauges a week later :-/ don't know if that's what did it but it seemed fine before that.

Likely to be a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.