usdm vs jdm?

7down-7m

Jun 11, 2006
milton
did a search couldnt find n e thing that rly helped me

my question is how woud u go about telling if a motor was usdm or jdm?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
USDM 7MGTE Motors have an EGR system. JDM 7MGTE Motors do not. If you use a JDM 7M make sure you also use the JDM computer, otherwise you will run lean at lower RPMs because the car thinks it has EGR system when it does not.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Same block, same crank, same pistons, same rods, same head, same cams, same manifolds...

See above about EGR passages being blocked.

7down-7m

Jun 11, 2006
milton
i sry guys thx for the help i dont really know what "EGR" is tho :( still new to the game

it was just brought to my attention in a pm that one motor might be jdm one might be usdm cuz i doing a swap and the throttle stuff looks different from my 89 motor compared to the 91 motor im putting in

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
If it is USDM your throttle body will have 2 vacuum nipples, also you will see a little i dunno how to explain it.. maybe like a flying saucer with vacuum lines hooked up to it? if it is JDM there will be block off plate on the head on the intake side closest to the fire wall and behind the head there will be either a block off plate or something capping it (on exhaust side) if it is jdm... however it is USDM there will be a big egr cooler. HTH

mclabaugh

suprastuntin
Nov 29, 2006
houston, tx
jdm engine's rear heater hose attach point will be on what is your "passenger" side and will be blocked off on your "drivers". you will have to cap the one side and open the other for proper heater hose routing.

that is because the steering wheel is on the other side of the car over there.

at least that is how my motor came.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Later models I think had different pipes around the block for RHD and LHD, so they might need to be swapped out...

I know my 89 engine I took out didn't have the blocked off pipe like the pre-89 engine I put in...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
PS

All 7m's were actually built in Japan. The ones that were going to be shipped out to the United States had EGR (shipped out as in installed in the MKIII supra destined for US&A). The ones that did not have EGR provision stayed in Japan.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN