upgrading turbo

kronizer

grease monkey
Jan 15, 2008
Penticton
My oil seal has gone recently and I'm currently looking into an upgrade but decided i'm sort of lost when it comes to trims and inducers exducers and what not. I'm looking for a turbo that will spool quick, perform well at around 10psi (can be turned down for dd) but capable of supporting close to 20psi (future when fuel is upgraded). Future goals are around 300-350 hp dd. Currently my setup is hard pipe ic, stock ic, k&n intake, 2.5inch turbo back exhaust, arp head studs torqued to 80ft lbs wtih cometic head gasket. If someone could suggest a turbo (compressor, turbine a/r and the exducer/mayor size) that would best fit my current needs. I'm looking away from ct upgrade due to the fact id like to scrap the hunk of metal thats currently my exhaust manifold. Suggestions and help appreciated. TIA

Cameron

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I assume he's wanting to steer away from an upgraded CT, hence his comment:
kronizer;1049413 said:
I'm looking away from ct upgrade due to the fact id like to scrap the hunk of metal thats currently my exhaust manifold.

However, For his power goals...I honestly think it'll be worthwhile to just find a new manifold or have the current one cleaned out and go with an upgraded CT.

Hella responsive, will make respectable power on "DD" boost, yet still has the option of cranking the boost up with the supplied fuel and laying down 350+ with ease.

Jeff

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
shouldnt he FIRST figure out how much power he wants to create in the end? because the CT doesnt do very well at 20psi, and thats what he said he wants to push for those "happy days" i take it.

the SP61 have laid down some awesome numbers, and its on a stock exhaust manifold!
it did 490HP on only 18psi. which for a stock manifold and a bolt on turbo those numbers speak pretty well for the turbo. and it comes in BB if you want that. just a thought...

but you would defintaley need a new IC and at least a 3'' exhaust.

kronizer

grease monkey
Jan 15, 2008
Penticton
Rennat;1050282 said:
shouldnt he FIRST figure out how much power he wants to create in the end? because the CT doesnt do very well at 20psi, and thats what he said he wants to push for those "happy days" i take it.

the SP61 have laid down some awesome numbers, and its on a stock exhaust manifold!
it did 490HP on only 18psi. which for a stock manifold and a bolt on turbo those numbers speak pretty well for the turbo. and it comes in BB if you want that. just a thought...

but you would defintaley need a new IC and at least a 3'' exhaust.

what turbos can i bolt up to my stock mani, i would be happy gettin something to bolt up there now and clean it out but i was under the impression no aftermarket turbos bolt up

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
suprasport has the boss seriers of turbos
hks has the sport turbo upgrade (old school)
sp racing makes there sp61 and 67

i was lookin into bolt on turbo upgrades just because there so much easier then trying to get the whole t3/t4 system to all work out

kronizer

grease monkey
Jan 15, 2008
Penticton
exactly what possition im in, i was looking into the new manifold but i've heard alot of issues which space and bolt up. thanks ill go check out those right now

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
If we're assuming money is not a factor here, then yes, buying a Suprasport LIPP BOSS bolt-on, or something else bolt-on would be great. But understand that with some of the bigger bolt-on turbos..you won't be anywhere near it's efficiency range at 10psi.

Also, to add on to your "bolt-on turbo list"...

Don't forget about the JT series. The last couple of years, a lot of people have started using these turbos and they've given themselves one hell of a reputation.
Talk with Jeff (jtamulis) if you want further details.

Also, I don't believe they're in production anymore, but the Turbonetics Hi-Fi bolt-on's were pretty hellacious turbos and made pretty decent power with lower boost.
Yes, you can steer from an upgraded CT, but if you're wanting bolt-on, just make sure you get the appropriate Turbo oil line kit.

I STRONGLY do NOT recommend running a larger turbo with your stock fuel system.
It will only create headaches and troubles in the long run.

Jeff

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i talked with Jeff one night about the turbos hes making, and my god... if you have ANY questions he'll have the answer. i think we had at least an hour conversation... and it was 11:30 at night!!! haha

and for daily driving, 10psi should be doable, it wont create a lot of power, but if your just going to be driving around town i see no need to be above 10psi either...

couldnt you put on a bigger turbo and just let fuel cut kick in whenever your suckin in too much air though?

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
LOL Yes. He's like me (the other Jeff ;))...Just wants to make sure points are made and there is no confusion on the subject.

Sure, you could technically do that...but do you really think it's good for it?
When you start making good power with a bigger turbo, you're just pushing your fuel system...and I'm sure most people wouldn't want to push dirty, 20 year old fuel injectors to the point of failure. Especially not during a WOT pull when one of them drops and you're left with a lean 20:1 A/F mixture......:biglaugh:

Jeff

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i dont think the OEM injectors could even take 10psi from a SP61GT! haha

but yes i do see the point of doing a full fuel system upgrade. maybe not going all out with an external fuel pump, but at least a rework of the main components, pump, feed, AFPR, injectors, and return line.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Oh sure. 550cc's or higher, an AFPR & even a good ol' Walbro 255 would be just fine. :)

But the more, the merrier. I'd rather have slight overkill than not having the right components to get the job done.

Jeff

kronizer

grease monkey
Jan 15, 2008
Penticton
on the subject of dirty injectors, have any of you done something called a hvac. i was talking to a guy in a shop and he said it just cleans your fuel system right out but ive only heard of actually removing your injectors and gettin them cleaned and flow tested and what not. any opinions of this hvac or have you even heard of it?

ModularTurbo

MasterPower Rep
May 4, 2008
Homestead, FL
www.modularturbo.com
kronizer;1052998 said:
on the subject of dirty injectors, have any of you done something called a hvac. i was talking to a guy in a shop and he said it just cleans your fuel system right out but ive only heard of actually removing your injectors and gettin them cleaned and flow tested and what not. any opinions of this hvac or have you even heard of it?

Something that I have done is remove the filter inside the top of the injector then soak it in dish soap over night then clean it w/ a old tooth brush then reinstall the filter its a quick cheap way of cleaning them out you would be surprised how dirty it gets.