Upgrading my 7MGTE!

SupraDupra907

AK-907
Jan 28, 2008
North Pole
I would love some help here! My MK3 is totally stock. I do have a down pipe, and have it straight piped. Now, I am looking to raise the boost to about 10psi on the stock turbo. Hoping to get roughly 300 hp off of some minor parts and tune ups on a budget! I have not made a list of parts, but off the top of my head comes these...

1. Electronic boost controller
2. 550cc injectors
3. Lexus MAF
4. 3 inch turbo elbow
5. Intercooler

I am pretty new at this so please feel free to fill in my blanks, add or subtract from this list, and correct where I am wrong. I need some leading to the right direction! Thanks.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
The Lexus afm and the 550's is a matching set. You have to install both of them at the same time. When you do that you need to install a walbro fuel pump. After that you need to install a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. They are a bunch of post on this here so keep searching you will find some good info. The intercooler needs to be replaced and all hard pipes. You need to do away with the stock air filter box and get a short ram intake. As far as the exhaust goes you need 3" all the way back. You have to get the air in and push the air out. Do not raise the boost on a stock setup. You will damage something. Hope this helps.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
89supracrazy;1566800 said:
The Lexus afm and the 550's is a matching set. You have to install both of them at the same time. When you do that you need to install a walbro fuel pump. After that you need to install a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. They are a bunch of post on this here so keep searching you will find some good info. The intercooler needs to be replaced and all hard pipes. You need to do away with the stock air filter box and get a short ram intake. As far as the exhaust goes you need 3" all the way back. You have to get the air in and push the air out. Do not raise the boost on a stock setup. You will damage something. Hope this helps.

Intercooler doesnt need to be replaced. Many people hit 300hp with the stocker.

My suggestion is, IF you are wanting more boost tighten the headbolts down first. As if this is still a stock car the headgasket will blow if its torqued to only 56lbs. So I say first thing to do is tighten those bolts up, then do the stuff 89supracrazy recommended (excluding the intercoller, unless you want to upgrade it anyways)

One more thing, GET A A/F WIDEBAND

ml43

Feb 12, 2009
HI
sub 350whp i dont think an aftermarket intercooler is required

get a Divorced Downpipe, safc, manual boost controller, retorque the head and call it a day

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yup-
You can hit 300 with the aforementioned mods. And I think that intake and exhaust shoul'd be done first.
They help every other upgrade, and give the biggest initial boost to power.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
do everything all those guys mentioned and get something like a afc to tune... tunning will net you more power than just slapping on those parts without a tune

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Before you do anything make sure that your engine is up to speed and you have no oil leaks etc.

1. Get an intake (aem, blitz apexi, etc there is an ebay one with a k&n filter for $70
2. Full 3in turbo back exhaust
3. 2.5 in hard pipes to the stock intercooler will do.
4.Bosch/porsche Bov will be more than enough and at $30-40 you cant beat it. Search button will give you part numbers for it.
5.Get a Boost guage of your choice to keep an eye on your boost.
6. AEM wideband for less than $200 you cant beat it. With this you can keep an eye on your A/Frs.
7. Raising your boost . You can either get a Manual Boost Controller or shimming the wastegate with some washers will get your 10psi. With either make sure you ajust it or shim it SLOWLY and keep an eye on your wideband.
8.Tune. An safc 1or 2 will do for a basic tune.
This mods should get you to or close to your goal. The next step would be a Walbro 255 fuel pump($100) , wix fuel filter($12), Aeromotive AFPR($260), Lexus Afm($50), 550cc injectors (560cc injectors from a evo 9 or 86-early 87 mazda rx7 turboII will work also and youll need clips for them at around $300 rebuilt .The Fuel mods might need to thrown in depending on the condition or your fuel system. From personal experience i made 300rwhp and 350rwtq with an intake , full3in, 2.5 hardpipes to stock intercooler ,greddy rs bov, stock ct26 at 15psi, walbro, aeromotive afpr, lex afm,stock 440cc injectors and an SAFC 2 tuned. Then i upgradded my stock ct26 to a ct26-60-1 and made 350rwhp and 375rwtq at 11.5 psi with the same mods. Well good luck ...

SupraDupra907

AK-907
Jan 28, 2008
North Pole
This is great guys. I do in fact have the HKS metal head gasket, with ARP bolts, tightened to about 70 ft/lbs if I remember correctly. I have an HKS BOV in hand. I have a down pipe (2.5 inlet - 3 outlet) so I am going to have to buy a straight 3 inch one. After the down pipe, is a straight, all 3 inch pipe to the rear. I am a little hesitate about manual boost controllers, cause I have heard of them failing and not boosting accurately. Just wondering with some terms here, "aforementioned mods?" "safc?" "afc to tune?"

I know that there are no oil leaks in my car, but I have a notion that there may be a slight coolant leak, but very, very small.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I have heard of people using shims on the actuator even with a boost controller. That keeps the boost from falling back. You need to get a guage to monitor it with any option you choose. The safc is a air fuel controller by apexi. It allows you to tune at full throttle. You have to have a wideband to use it. The wideband monitors you air fuel ratio.

SupraDupra907

AK-907
Jan 28, 2008
North Pole
89supracrazy;1566937 said:
I have heard of people using shims on the actuator even with a boost controller. That keeps the boost from falling back. The safc is a air fuel controller by apexi. It allows you to tune at full throttle. You have to have a wideband to use it. The wideband monitors you air fuel ratio.

Great. Thanks for the explanations. I will look into some windbands.

SupraDupra907

AK-907
Jan 28, 2008
North Pole
89supracrazy;1566800 said:

Just wondering about replacing the stock intercooler, what is a size that would be good? Dimensions?

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I am hearing alot about the cx racing intercooler kit. It replaces the 3000 pipe also. It cost about 500 bucks for it. As far as the size you probably have to contact them for that info.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
500 bucks, geez. Go to driftmotion.com and buy a kit for 300 to 400. And its quality stuff. Cxracing is a hit or miss company. Or buy an intercooler, and get piping and make your own kit.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
airhead04;1570426 said:
500 bucks, geez. Go to driftmotion.com and buy a kit for 300 to 400. And its quality stuff. Cxracing is a hit or miss company. Or buy an intercooler, and get piping and make your own kit.

The reason I said that is because I read some post of people installing the intercooler kit from driftmotion and they had trouble with it. The same post that I read, the person had it ordered at the first of May and it is on back ordered until sometime in june. If you go to their website you will see. I ordered my walbro and aeromotive fpr from driftmotion with no trouble and good quality. I just don't know about the intercooler kit. Do some research.

SupraDupra907

AK-907
Jan 28, 2008
North Pole
So I have been driving my car around, and notice that there is a little white smoke coming from the exhaust... Just a couple days ago, I replaced the stock air intake, and had to take off the upper inter-cooler pipe (the one next to the air intake, leading to the top of the motor and into the plenum). I noticed that inside the hard-pipe was a little bit of liquid material, and swiped my finger. Sure enough, it smelled like coolant. Now I have to figure out where the coolant is leaking into. Is there any place where the MK3 Supra is known to leak coolant? Also, I do have an HKS metal head gasket with ARP bolts to 70 ft/lbs.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
The only thing that comes to the top of my mind, but not sure if it can leak... is the ICS valve runs back to the cold air intake, it is controlled off of coolant temp I think? I know coolant runs through it off the bypass tube. There is coolant in the turbo, but I think would have to have a crack in it to leak...

Sure sounds like a lot of "I think" statements huh? Well trying to give you ideas, but without certainties... anyone else know how coolant ends up in the inter-cooler piping?

You may want to do some more searching on the ARP torque, I thought the spec from ARP was 75lbs but many push them to 80-85. There is also a sequence when new to torque/back-off 5 times before final torque on each one. Once again, I am raising the flag to go check, I know 70 lbs does not sound right though.