upgrading from my blown 7mge, ideas????

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok so all of two hours ago 12:45 ish my 7m developed severe rod knock and overheated, its toast at the moment
im looking at this minor catastrophe as a steping stone. i would really like to go v8 and was looking into the 1uzfe or an ls1 swap
im looking for some feedback as im looking to build for mid range power
nothing too crazy but a reliable 600 would be nice
im looking to start out with half that in stock ish form

for those that have had experience with the v8's which ones do you like or not like and why
im looking to make a decision soon and im liking the fact that the ls motor is on coilpacks instead of a distributor
any input is greatly appreciated

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Don't put an LS1 in a Supra, I'll slap you in the face. If you do really want a V8 do a 1uz-fe swap. But it's your car do what ever floats your boat. IMO I don't think you should ruin a Supra by putting an engine from another manufacturer in it let alone a domestic one.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
Supraflymk3;1550928 said:
Don't put an LS1 in a Supra, I'll slap you in the face. If you do really want a V8 do a 1uz-fe swap. But it's your car do what ever floats your boat. IMO I don't think you should ruin a Supra by putting an engine from another manufacturer in it let alone a domestic one.

LOL loads of people have swapped domestic into foreign bodies. American power + import handling.

That being said I think an LS1 would be a bad idea using a toy trans. Alot of toy mini truck guys have issues with a mild 350 in front of an r154... I couldnt imagine a 600hp LS motor

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
stomis;1551021 said:
LOL loads of people have swapped domestic into foreign bodies. American power + import handling.

That being said I think an LS1 would be a bad idea using a toy trans. Alot of toy mini truck guys have issues with a mild 350 in front of an r154... I couldnt imagine a 600hp LS motor

I know alot of people do it but in my opinion I think its a sin. LOL Yeah you can build horsepower cheap out of a small block chevy but if you want to shoot for those power goals why not just slowly build a 2J or something. I won't lie I love Chevy small blocks but I don't think they belong in import cars.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Koenigturbo;1551033 said:
the swap should cost you more than it would to fix your 7m

can you even shut the hood with an Chevy engine???

im pretty sure it would cost me more to fix it unless some one wants to donate a gte longblock lol
i found a donor car for the 1uz for 650 all i would then have to buy is the trans adapter plate and the hydraulic throw out bearing find the appropriate motor mounts and splice my wiring in and im good to go

ixelerate

Mar 11, 2010
Ohio
nosechunks;1551123 said:
A project like this starts out how you just said it, And usually ends a few years later with much more complication.

lmao...annd a with a very sorry seller trying to get half of what he invested... and I agree with the post above...NEVER a domestic motor in an import. The best part of these cars is the uniqueness, a chebby motor takes that away!

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
well because this car is my daily and i was collecting parts for an NA-T conversion im gonna try and find a gte long block and swap the head over
ill wait till next summer to do the v8 swap

that being said anyone know where i can get a gte Longblock or entire engine ????

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
seriously, it's your car, do what you want..

however, the easiest, quickest and most rewarding (in the short run), is a 7MGTE swap with a little bit of bolt-ons...