Upgraded Clutch Disc on stock PP?

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i know the Spec Clutches are basically a Stock PP re-painted and a 6-puck disc or full face upgraded.

my clutch is beginning to get weak. i don't have the money for a FULL clutch kit, so i was thinking about getting an ACT sprung 6-puck disc for my stock PP in my 1J from CKAnderson.

has anyone else done this? just want some input on how much power you are running, how much it held, and is it worth it?

thanks,

Josh

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
My upgraded 6puck disk and stock pressure plate has been very good to me!

I am pushing just under 300rwhp ...... The setup holds 40% over stock. The stock disk has been proven to handle 300rwhp soooo I would guess the 400-450rwhp would be my limit

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
I put that in my 2JZ swap Stock toyota pressure plate with a 6 puck disk. It grabbed pretty good but never was able to puch it so can't say for high power/
I would think though that a stronger PP would suit better to maximize the use of a good quality disc.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
wow some good feedback over night. nice!

Bountykillah Did you buy a NEW stock PP or just the one thats been in the car??? see my PP is a stock yota one but has been on the engine since the guy did a 5-speed swap in japan. so i dunno how fast they lose their springyness (the pp). i only have about 160 to spend. but i guess i could sit on it for awhile and hope mine doesn't die out before i can afford a full clutch kit, but that would suck if it died with my baby in the car.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
I will also be running a 6 puck ACT clutch with a stock new PP.

I bought if from Ckanderson, he gave me a pretty good price.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I am using the stock PP that came with my r154 these pull type PP are pretty stout ..... I have no clue about the actual miles but I am sure it has plenty lol. But if you really conserned with the PP get a new OEM I can get a price check for you if you want. But if the prices are close support our vendors!

I also use this setup on all my cars and the supra feels the best .... 1) 89 MKIII turbo feels almost like stock very very little chatter 2) 97 Maxima SE chatters a lot and has the harshest engagement but I am getting used to it 3) 90 Civic hatch pretty smooth chatters a little

Just let me know and I can the prices for a brand new setup. New 6puck disk, new OEM PP or heavy duty, new pilot bearing, new throw out bearing and alignment tool.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Thanks Tissimo and Slow66. You guys just saved a bunchof us 200-300 dollars. lol.
I knew this did well on normal driving and now the higher HP information is known as well.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yea i won't be slipping it real bad for the track

when i go to the track im worried about MPH not ET. but i'm just worried my stock PP isn't gonna clamp hard anymore since its old. i dunno how well they hold their clamping force before going "limp"

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
redmaro;919269 said:
I tought the R-154 didnt need an align
ment tool?

Hmm it depends if the engine and tranny are out of the car and you want to bolt up the pressure plate faster and easier then yes you will need it. If the engine is in the car then no you wont, b/c you will put the pressure plate and disk on the input shaft and then spend 15mins bolting down the pressure plate through the inspection cover.....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
don't use an alignment tool...

wanna know why?

If you're just dropping the tranny, there isn't enought room to get the bellhousing back far enough to actually slide through the throwout bearing assembly. Follow the TSRM it's very easy...

Now, back to the topic, I wouldn't use the old PP as the friction surface would be just as bad as the flywheel, and you have to get the flywheel machined... You see where I'm going with this?

Pics of what happens when a stock clutch that wasn't installed properly (plus the flywheel wasn't machined properly) and how bad ther surfaces get... I had a spare flywheel that I had machined.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/viru52000/build%20thread/

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Poodles;920230 said:
don't use an alignment tool...

wanna know why?

If you're just dropping the tranny, there isn't enought room to get the bellhousing back far enough to actually slide through the throwout bearing assembly. Follow the TSRM it's very easy...
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/viru52000/build%20thread/

I thought i said the same thing and i did say resurfaced ....... but you are right pink dog :)

bountykilla0118;919822 said:
Hmm it depends if the engine and tranny are out of the car and you want to bolt up the pressure plate faster and easier then yes you will need it. If the engine is in the car then no you wont, b/c you will put the pressure plate and disk on the input shaft and then spend 15mins bolting down the pressure plate through the inspection cover.....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not to mention the fact that there isn't much movement in the hub, I'd be scared I'd tweak the hub sideways and bend the fingers on the PP, but it's really up to you...

I've never had issues doing it the way the TSRM shows...

I honestly wouldn't resurface the PP, as you dunno if it's too thin, if it has stress fractures in it (less mass than the flywheel, so more likely), ect...

Think of it this way, if you do it wrong, you'll be doing it all over again very soon...