Uneven suspension

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have eibach with tokico blues and my passenger rear side sits higher. The shock/springs are a few years old and when you look at the car from the front or back the pass. rear is visually higher. I can fit 4 fingers between the tire and fender on the driver rear side and on the pass side its maybe a 1" bigger gap.

To make things more confusing I think now that its not consistent. I was in the garage today and looked and it seemed to be sitting level and the gap was equal on each side. The gap on the driver side has always been 4 fingers, that never changes. So I don't think its the driver side sagging down.

Its sitting on level ground with nothing in the car to weigh either side down. The front end is level and none of the shocks seem blown or leaking. I'm not sure how one corner could be higher unless the other 3 are sagging.

Could it be a bushing going bad, upper mount or what? Any advice on what to check or look for?

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
iwannadie;1382837 said:
I have eibach with tokico blues and my passenger rear side sits higher. The shock/springs are a few years old and when you look at the car from the front or back the pass. rear is visually higher. I can fit 4 fingers between the tire and fender on the driver rear side and on the pass side its maybe a 1" bigger gap.

To make things more confusing I think now that its not consistent. I was in the garage today and looked and it seemed to be sitting level and the gap was equal on each side. The gap on the driver side has always been 4 fingers, that never changes. So I don't think its the driver side sagging down.

Its sitting on level ground with nothing in the car to weigh either side down. The front end is level and none of the shocks seem blown or leaking. I'm not sure how one corner could be higher unless the other 3 are sagging.

Could it be a bushing going bad, upper mount or what? Any advice on what to check or look for?

your probably on an uneven surface

your garage is level, thats why the gap is level

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
tErbo b00st;1385183 said:
your probably on an uneven surface

your garage is level, thats why the gap is level

My garage floor is level and its also the same way(gap) on any surface I park on. I've backed into and pulled forward into my garage, same gap in the passenger side only.

If you stand directly in front or behind the car you can clearly see the rear corner is higher. Its like someone has a jack under the rear corner and is lifting it an inch.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suspension bolts not tightened while car is on the ground (or just loading the suspension with a jack) can cause this...

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Just on a off note... How did you like your eibach/tokico blue set up? Fairly good drop? Notice any handling differences? So for hijacking the thread..

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Poodles;1385319 said:
suspension bolts not tightened while car is on the ground (or just loading the suspension with a jack) can cause this...

When I installed the setup I used a floor jack to lift each corner then tightened the bolts. Maybe I didn't lift that corner high enough when I torqued the bolts.

Would not loading that corner enough cause this problems years after it was installed? Like I said just recently has it been a problem until then it said level.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Could be the spring rate is higher on that one spring. Of the springs I've measured, 10% difference between two springs in the same box isn't unusual.

Asterix

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
iwannadie;1385246 said:
My garage floor is level and its also the same way(gap) on any surface I park on. I've backed into and pulled forward into my garage, same gap in the passenger side only.

If you stand directly in front or behind the car you can clearly see the rear corner is higher. Its like someone has a jack under the rear corner and is lifting it an inch.

you said when you were in your garage the fender gap is the same. Hence why I said your garage is level, and the other surfaces you are parking on (when the gap is different) is not level.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
tErbo b00st;1388556 said:
you said when you were in your garage the fender gap is the same. Hence why I said your garage is level, and the other surfaces you are parking on (when the gap is different) is not level.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post. The car sits the same no matter what surface it is on, my garage or a random parking lot the passenger corner sits higher.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
When one of my brothers got a lowering kit for his 2000 celica he had a similar problem, the car was leaning to a side. He bought it salvaged so he assumed it was because of that and put some spacers or something idk it was a long time ago but now it's level. My point is that maybe there's something wrong with your car that you don't know about. It happened to my '91 supra, it had negative camber on a front wheel that an alignment couldn't bring into spec. The crossmember was noticeable bent and the strut towers were and inch closer to eachother than they should've been. Or maybe you know your car well, just trying to spark ideas.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
livinasask8er;1388772 said:
When one of my brothers got a lowering kit for his 2000 celica he had a similar problem, the car was leaning to a side. He bought it salvaged so he assumed it was because of that and put some spacers or something idk it was a long time ago but now it's level. My point is that maybe there's something wrong with your car that you don't know about. It happened to my '91 supra, it had negative camber on a front wheel that an alignment couldn't bring into spec. The crossmember was noticeable bent and the strut towers were and inch closer to eachother than they should've been. Or maybe you know your car well, just trying to spark ideas.

Thanks for the thought, I'm pretty sure nothing structurally is wrong with it. It sat level when I first put the suspension on and since then I haven't wrecked it or hit anything at all. I will check closer for anything that looks bent though.

I actually re-torqued the passenger side bolts and the day I did that it was sitting perfectly level again before I touched anything.

I'm now wondering if it is my full tank of gas causing this, I'll wait until its almost empty and check things for a change.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
dude i have the same exact problem, i used b+g springs and koni shocks, fine 2 inch lowered at first and now the passenger side sits lover an inch its driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iwannadie;1388787 said:
Thanks for the thought, I'm pretty sure
nothing structurally is wrong with it. It sat level when I first put the suspension on and since then I haven't wrecked it or hit anything at all. I will check closer for anything that looks bent though.

I actually re-torqued the passenger side bolts and the day I did that it was sitting perfectly level again before I touched anything.

I'm now wondering if it is my full tank of gas causing this, I'll wait until its almost empty and check things for a change.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
max-89supra(t);1400952 said:
dude i have the same exact problem, i used b+g springs and koni shocks, fine 2 inch lowered at first and now the passenger side sits lover an inch its driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm. same shit here B+G springs and konis and passenger rear side is higher.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Pernilongo;1401692 said:
hmm. same shit here B+G springs and konis and passenger rear side is higher.

When I had stock suspension the RR sat higher then the LR when I measured from the ground to the fender line.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
blk92suprat;1402001 said:
When I had stock suspension the RR sat higher then the LR when I measured from the ground to the fender line.

I dont remember how it was when it was stock, but i also noticed that dampening is different on those sides, one side is stiffer than the other when you rock the car up and down pressing on a fender. i

Edit: i tried again and the lower side goes down independantly from the rest three and the higher side make the whole rear end go down like as if connected to the other side.

Last edited: