um BIG prolem. bolts that holds the fuel rail SNAPED... help...

Apr 4, 2005
california
heres what happened. wednesday i intalled my 550cc. and today i was abvle to drive it. well anyways i was boosting 11 psi and since i installed a lex i wanted to find out where my new fuel cut is so i turned it up to 13. and thats when my injectors started leaking....

and no i didnt reuse anything. i baught the 550cc off ebay with new everything. so i didnt have to reuse anythig off my old injectors.

anyways i took it home and let it cool. once ready i figured i didnt tighten the bolt enuff.. since i didnt use a trq wrench plus my trq wrench only go up to 80.

so i was tightening the very front one using the trq wrench when it snap. anyways half of the bolt is in the upper block. :icon_evil

so how would i go about taking those out? and where can i find a replacement bolt? it a 12mm but i dont know the thread pattern thingy.

suckx i gatta go to work tomorow so i gatta take the bus. good thing we got a 3 day weekend comming up...

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Go to the hardware store and get whats called an "easy out", You drill a small hole in the snapped bolt, the easy out tightens into the bolt in the opposite direction and turns the bolt out. I've had to do this before on a snapped bolt and works like a charm.

Also I don't think you need to tighten the fuel rail that hard, the torque on the rail is not what keeps the injectors from leaking. Torque spec for the rail bolts is 13 ft lbs, that is just "snug" fuel rail install

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2005
california
jimi87-t said:
Go to the hardware store and get whats called an "easy out", You drill a small hole in the snapped bolt, the easy out tightens into the bolt in the opposite direction and turns the bolt out. I've had to do this before on a snapped bolt and works like a charm.

Also I don't think you need to tighten the fuel rail that hard, the torque on the rail is not what keeps the injectors from leaking.

what would cause the injectors to leak then?

and it said on the manual that iit need to be ighten 100+ forgot what it said exactly.

soup

fiend
Apr 4, 2005
Vancouver
If there's still part of the bolt sticking out just use some vicegrips.

When you install the injectors you need to rotate them in the rail so the o-ring seats itself properly. It's described in the TSRM iirc.

B

Boostaddctn

twin_turbo_mk3 said:
what would cause the injectors to leak then?

and it said on the manual that iit need to be ighten 100+ forgot what it said exactly.

Holy retardedness Batman, 100+ on the fuel rail?!?!? lol, time for you to hire a mechanic... its 180Kg-CM which is 13-ftlb, a little under HANDTIGHT... and with that said, did you lube the Orings before putting it in the rail?? aight peace :chicken:

ps- punk'd yourself for 100+ ftlbs

edit: jimi87-t beat me to it!

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
just be careful with that drill around the nice soft aluminum head and fuel rail. the drill bit might try to wander to the softer metal rather than the skrew. and dude, an 80ft/lb torque wrench is plenty to torque the fuel rail bolts, cuz they only need 13ft/lbs.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/em/EM_54.html
this is a persoal thing: i prefer the skrew extractors that craftsman has, instead of beeing left hand threaded they have 4 straight cutting edges that really bite into the skrew and turn it. again, just a personal thing.

edit: damn you other guys are fast. i would have been second if i didnt take so long finding the right page in the tsrm.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Definetely fine to reuse your o-rings and such. They're hardly used!
Good luck this time around, man.

100ft/lbs. ::snickers::

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well if they were not leaking then you would have nothing to worry about.
But if it's just one that is leaking remove it, if its all of them I would remove them and insect for damage.

It's hard to say "if it were me" You may have pinched them while installing and that could be the problem. So the best bet is to just replace them. It only takes a micro cut or pinch to "F" the o ring up.

Apr 4, 2005
california
actually i only tried to trq down one bolt. the first one snap so i had to stop lol.

and i will inspect everything this weekend but i doubt that i will buy new o rings unless its in bad shape. plus i want it running by monday since its my dd and i dont feel like walkin to school then taking the bus to work lol...

off topic but i got my walbro on the mail on wed. and im planning on installing it this weekend aswell. and yes i also baught new fuel filter.
i should drill out the j-tube now right?(i have no afpr yet.)(maybe in a month or two)

and what is the j-tube covering exactly? i mean is if take out the j-tube cover thing for the block would oil be spilling out?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs

Yes drill it out, the plate blocks off a huge hole on the side of the block.

johnathan1 said:
are the o-rings expensive? can i get them from...say....autozone?
They are cheap, you can ask at AZ but I got mine from Toyo.

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
johnathan1 said:
are the o-rings expensive? can i get them from...say....autozone?

You can get them individually from the dealer but the price is outrageous. They should be available from most major auto stores. They aren't sold in singles but are sold in kits. One kit services one injector and comes with several onion-rings.

EDIT: Damn it Jimi, beat me to it. :D

JDM 1JZ

I hate Tires
Aug 31, 2005
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
damn @ 100ft lbs im real suprised all of them didnt snap, or strip the threads in the head i mean its only aluminum, thats alot of tq on that tiny bolt, but yeah easy outs do work like a a charm=)

Apr 4, 2005
california
JDM 1JZ said:
damn @ 100ft lbs im real suprised all of them didnt snap, or strip the threads in the head i mean its only aluminum, thats alot of tq on that tiny bolt, but yeah easy outs do work like a a charm=)

um actually i tried to trq down only one cuz when it snap i stop lol. its kinda pointless to try to trq down the rest when one bolt snap. wich is a good thing i stop.

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
you said you have ebay injectors do these happen to be Venom injectors?? If so one of the injectors might have started to leak not the o-ring Ive seen this happen My brother changed all his o-rings only to find out it was actually the injector leaking Theres two or three threads on here regarding this we are still trying to get a refund over this. Dont cheap out when it comes to injectors my brother learned the hard way maybe you did as well I hope it was only an o-ring keep us updated on this.
One more thing check your oil pan for gas my brother flooded his when his injector took a shit on him.