Uh oh... trouble for the supra.....

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
Well i graduated college a couple weeks ago... and my dad flew out from colorado for it. He has never ridden in the supra. He has a c4 vette and always talks so much shit... I estimate my supra is making a little over 400hp as the spec stage one clutch is rated at 400 ftlbs of torque and slips in 3rd gear a little..

Took him for a spin out in the country and he almost shit his pants... haha... it was awesome... He was like goddamn this thing pulls...

Well the next day im cruising back home and it starts to over heat.. temp rises then falls... at the time i was thinking thermostat.. Not blowing any smoke or anything but... replace the thermo... same thing is happening but its starting to get worse... parked the car at my moms and changed the water pump... Figuring it cant hurt being 20 years old.. Burp the coolant test drive... same thing... but now it will just climb to hot and not fall anymore... get back before it gets too hot... pull the dipstick and POW... water in the oil... then i check my greddy oil catch tank and theres water in there...

Cracked head? Or blown hg?

Im moving to Rhode Island in 3 days to start a summer internship and the car will sit all summer... By the time i get back the bearings are gonna be pitted and will need a rebuild again i imagine...

Time to go forged internals i guess... :biglaugh:

I always thought i would be bummed when i got my bhg/cracked head.. daily drivers are saviors...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
westonboege said:
Time to go forged internals i guess... :biglaugh:

I always thought i would be bummed when i got my bhg/cracked head.. daily drivers are saviors...

Thats the right attitude to have. Was this a stock gasket or metal? I'm loving my daily that I just bought because now my Supra is down as well (low compression). At least you don't have to rush and can do the job right. good luck with the rebuild.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
It was a fel pro gasket. Had the engine rebuilt shortly after i got the car. Was in a pinch for money back then. Had arp head bolts though.

The weird thing was the oil catch tank was overflowing with water. Which leads me to believe its a cracked head. I dont think its possible for the gasket to let coolant spew into the cam case like that.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
BHG FTL

I would bet on a head gasket before a cracked head. You could spend a day or two on it and throw in a Cometic.... It will probably fix the problem. Its not like you can drive it now anyway.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
thats the only problem... im moving to rhode island from indiana on tuesday... so i dont have time to do anything to it now... I'll just have to wait until i either get back in indiana or get the job at the end of the internship...ship the car out there... and rebuild it better than eva....

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
I put the head bolts in... and torqued them down to spec all even... from the middle out.. hmmm... could just be a gasket.. but ill prob need new bearings in 3 months anyways..

I just got alot of packing to do... I can only take what will fit in my gti... Plus i gotta do all the other stuff necessary to move... headache/.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
How long will it sit? If you are not going to remove the block and get it hot tanked should you drain all the oil? I dont know what would happen if the oil/coolant mix sits for a long time? This is more a question I dont really know if it would hurt to let it sit for a long time. Just a guess :)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
westonboege said:
It was a fel pro gasket. Had the engine rebuilt shortly after i got the car. Was in a pinch for money back then. Had arp head bolts though.

The weird thing was the oil catch tank was overflowing with water. Which leads me to believe its a cracked head. I dont think its possible for the gasket to let coolant spew into the cam case like that.

The reason there is coolant in the catch can is not that coolant spews into the cams, it is that the coolant is vaporized and condenses in the catch can.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
drain and refill the oil, dunno if you should crank it to get the oil into the oil passages, but it's better than rust in your engine I guess...

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
Yeah... i guess have enough time to drain the oil when i go see my mom before i leave... cause its at her house...

As for the oil in the catch tank... at one time it was totally full of water... in a short period of time.. i had steam coming from under my hood... stopped popped the hood.. and it was water spraying out of the catch tank onto the turbo... it was just a little water.. it was full.....

I guess i could still have been vapor building up... but... thanks for the suggestions guys... i guess either way ill be pulling the head at least...

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
i dont know... i actually researched it a little... found a couple on ebay with manual tranny and computer but they were close to 7k....

I think i could rebuild my motor and tranny for under 7k.... If i could get some forged internals i think i would be fine... got a decent fuel setup.... decent turbo...

My goal for the car is to make between 550-600hp... i think i could get close to 500 with the turbo i have now... all i would really want to upgrade is to aem ems or something...

Plus if i go 2j i will prob have to upgrade bunch on that motor before i put it in... damn... so many choices...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
dude, 2jzge motors complete are going for ~800 shipped... add on a piggyback, your choice in HG, ARPs and a 61mm turbo kit and your looking at around....3-4k for a 4-500 HP motor that can take it all day.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
i have a little (teaspoon or so) of water in my CC (last time i checked) is that normal??

I am on cometic 2.0 and studs motor has all of five miles on it

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
westonboege said:
i dont know... i actually researched it a little...

I think you were looking at the 2jzGTE not the 2jzge. Im talking about using the 2jzGE and going NAT with it. MUCH CHEAPER and its nearly identical to the GTE block. Look at my build thread and the links posted in the first post. Anything and everything you want to know about it is right there.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
Oh... yeah i was thinking 2jzgTe...

So what are the differences between ge and gte for the 2js? Is there a stroke difference or is it just compression? Heads?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
same differances as the 7M AFAIK...

having some water int eh catch can after a HG job is going to be normal, moisture has to burn off, ect... (most ever engine I've seen that has been apart smoked a bit on the first startup)

did you change the oil after doing the HG? Not doing that will cause rod knock...

2J is NOT cheaper, don't care how you slice it. You'll still need tons of parts to make it work and fit, plus wiring, engine management, turbo, ect...

Off the top of my head:
-mounts
-belts
-engine management
-wiring
-turbo kit
-IC piping and IC
-throttle cable
-injectors
-tuning

and tons of misc. crap that will eat up money faster than a trophy wife...