uh oh EGR :p

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
so i was told to go about putting my EGR vavle back because it had no need to be taken off and all it was going to do is blow out my HG's unless i got a stand-alone ecu or a JDM ecu. well i attempted to put my EGR back on and this is what i ran into

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

it makes no space for my -10 dual feed fitting :( and yes it is a lipp Hi-flow rail, and yes i know its not needed, i heard it over and over and i dont care about that anymore. are stand alone and JDM my only routes, is there a way that i can lower maybe 1/2 a inch? where can i find a JDM ECU? how long have people ran without a EGR valve on a USDM ECU?

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
i have a europe mk3 with oem ecu and rebuilt enginge. (not sure of difference with us ecu) . I am driving with 1.2bar without egr and no problem. I dont think its a big risk to blow your engine.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Guys - The USDM TCCS is tuned for the EGR timing/fuel map wise. The countries where the EGR was not installed are different...i.e. Japan for example. Running without an EGR risks mid-throttle detonation under load...there is more air in the A/F mixture with no EGR.

Northwest - the best option is a stand alone for that motor ;)
You can run without the EGR, but you are going to need to be very careful at cruise about dropping into boost going up hills.

nick88;1348324 said:
when i get done with replacing my hg i am leaving mine off on a usdm ecu. also my friend james has his off on an 89 turbo without the egr on usdm and it runs great.

"Runs great" really doesn't mean squat in this case...your friend is taking the same risk by removing the EGR. The engine will run great right up to the point where detonation induces a BHG ;)
Then, your friend will blame the "POS 7M" as the cause...he did everything right after all...LOL!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes they do Ian ;)

You guys need to consider the TCCS is designed to use a pretty wide variety of octane gasoline...it's timing/fuel maps are pretty conservative as a result to make sure the motor does not detonate. The knock sensors are there to limit damage if detonation does occur...it's a misunderstanding to think the knock sensors prevent detonation. The action the TCCS takes in response to knock is after it has already happened, and that can be too late.

On the USDM TCCS, the timing/fuel maps can be a bit more aggressive...the EGR helps to prevent detonation and keeps cylinder temps low. Remove it and the additional margin it provides is gone.

Here's some interesting work 3P and company are doing with the TCCS...could be a simple fix to the no EGR problem:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1317537&postcount=124

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1314912&postcount=121

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
well that is a great thing about 3p i like this alot and would be willing to try it out, but i wouldnt do it untill its verifyed that it works, that is all talk about 7mge's with auto's and manuals, im running the GTE with the r154

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
hmm well if im looking at my fuel rail right its a 1/2" NPT so i was thinking maybe i could get a short plug for it and put the EGR in, my main complaint is that i have a Emissions test to come when i register my car lol, thats the only thing next to the CAT that im missing, i've passed before without the cat, so not to worried about that, the EGR is the only thing that was still on the vehicle, but i also have alot of other modifications that have been done, you think if i tune it good for the emissions test ill be good

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
You already said that the high flow rail is a bit excessive for your needs, why not revert back to the stock fuel rail so that you could still use the EGR? at least until you can afford a standalone, at which time you could remove the EGR (if so desired) and install the high flow rail. That's a less expensive alternative than ponying up the money for a standalone/tune

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
max-89supra(t);1348735 said:
dude just make a custom spacer plate, my dads a machinist so he does all that stuff for me:icon_bigg

How awesome for you!

Are you offering your father's services to make this spacer as the OP's father may not be a machinist....

thanks for your useless post.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
IJ.;1348736 said:
How awesome for you!

Are you offering your father's services to make this spacer as the OP's father may not be a machinist....

thanks for your useless post.

You're so nice, Ian :biglaugh:

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
Moy;1348721 said:
You already said that the high flow rail is a bit excessive for your needs, why not revert back to the stock fuel rail so that you could still use the EGR? at least until you can afford a standalone, at which time you could remove the EGR (if so desired) and install the high flow rail. That's a less expensive alternative than ponying up the money for a standalone/tune

thats if its not broken when you took it out or you break the egr while trying to install all of it. then its a couple hundred so then you might as well go standalone. :evil2:

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
i vacuum tested the egr :p it holds no leak off, but my luck is that a certain girlfriends father of mine is a machinist :) but how would i make this spacer? we add a spacer onto the block side now the intake side is going to shoot out to far. same if you go from the intake side spaced, can the hard line be replaced with a soft line?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Since the EGR flows exhaust gas, be very careful of the type soft line if you use it. A hard line would be my choice...copper tubing would work just fine.