U.S. Bank deposit then immediate withdrawal question

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I'm going to call U.S. Bank in the morning to get their take on my question but as with any other service based company I'm expecting to get one answer on the phone and a completely different answer in person when it really comes down to it.

I'm going to be flying across the country to buy a Supra in a few weeks if all goes well. I use a local CU here but my girlfriend has a U.S. Bank account. My plan to pay the seller was to deposit the cash into the U.S. Bank account here, fly down there and then withdraw the cash and drive my new toy home. My girlfriend is coming with me so that won't present a problem but I want to cover all my bases and any potential problems before I get 2500 miles from home and no money to buy my new car....

The seller will not accept a cashiers check or money order, he says that he has been scammed before with a false document. I have no problem just pulling the cash out when I get there but I want to make sure there will not be any issues.

Thoughts? Experiences?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
be very careful... i immediately have a problem with showing up at a strangers house with that much cash on hand. especially if he knows you are coming with that much cash. sounds like a good ambush robbery senerio. do the transaction at the bank.

as for your us bank question...as long as there are 3 business days between the deposit and the withdrawal you should not have any issues. with cash there should not be any wait time... but i would still give it a couple days to clear

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
fixitman04;1726761 said:
be very careful... i immediately have a problem with showing up at a strangers house with that much cash on hand. especially if he knows you are coming with that much cash. sounds like a good ambush robbery senerio. do the transaction at the bank.

as for your us bank question...as long as there are 3 business days between the deposit and the withdrawal you should not have any issues. with cash there should not be any wait time... but i would still give it a couple days to clear

He will pick us up at the airport, we'll go directly to the bank where the transaction will occur and then we will leave. Thanks for the idea though, that's a very valid concern.

There'll be over a week, more like two between the deposit and the withdrawal. If all goes as planned I'll be picking up the car on the 8th. I'll be putting the money in any day now.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
It still won't guarentee that the bank will have enough cash period. Happened to me once. Call the day before and let them know you'll be making a withdrawal of that amount.

- from my Archos 5 IT

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
A. Jay;1726768 said:
It still won't guarentee that the bank will have enough cash period. Happened to me once. Call the day before and let them know you'll be making a withdrawal of that amount.

- from my Archos 5 IT

This is the kind of advice I'm looking for! Thank you.

I have a hard time seeing them not having enough cash on hand... it is a MK3 after all ;) Albeit one of the rarer ones, but a MK3 all the same.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What i would do is get a certified check from the bank. Then fly out there look at the car and if all is good have him sign over the title and drive you to the bank to cash it into his account. Then there is no cash involved and if they jack you they will get time.

I mean to me if i was picking someone up from the airport id meet them at the terminal so i saw them coming off the plane and then id no there serious. Id also have them with me at the bank to make sure the check is good.

Could also do a wire transfer.