U-JOINTS, No not the Mary Jane ones....

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC

Hey guys, got a quick question. Has anybody ever had a problem with the stock two-piece drive shafts with the 88 model? I'm in the middle of a build and I'm planning on drifting the car OCCASIONALLY not all the time, and I'm wondering if the stock ones will be fine or upgrade to those Neapco Brute Force ones.

Much appreciated!

James_9876

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
It's not just the U-joints, but the whole driveshaft that's less than...shall we say, sturdy.

I'm on my third. I've replaced the U's with HD units but I keep twisting the back half of the drive shaft.

I'd get a 1 piece unit, but I've ridden in cars with them, they are noisy and seem to vibrate more than the stock 2 piece unit.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
So probably best to just put up with twisting driveshafts? Just curious how much WHP(wheel horse power) you're putting down to twist a shaft. And where would you find a new one?

Thanks for the reply

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
james_9876 said:
So probably best to just put up with twisting driveshafts? Just curious how much WHP(wheel horse power) you're putting down to twist a shaft. And where would you find a new one?

Thanks for the reply

Mid 400's in daily driver trim, more when I need to. But I've seen cars with alot less hp do the same.

I hit the junkyard and picked up 3 or 4 of the back piece of the shaft and just switch u-joints when they break.

You can tell cause you'll get a vibration in the seat of your pants when they twist and go out of balance.