twin turbo....what do you guyz reconmend?

2JZ...sequential or true twins?

• sequential

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • true twins

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters

kaifiji

no glove...no love
Oct 22, 2006
bay area
i will be doing another 2JZ swap. do i keep it as a stock sequential setup or covert it to true twins like the 1JZ setup? any done this before or know any one who has? what the significant difference?

for arguments sake, there's no such thing as a 1JZ swap or a 2JZ with a sigle turbo coversion...which i know a lot of people have done and also reconmend.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i voted true twins

little laggier but helps make a little more power in my opinion

tissimo's car is in TTC

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I never ran my twins on sequential but ttc is fine imo.. I was comming from a 67 1jz, so lag wasn't noticable at all to me..

TTC will keep your #2 alive longer though

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
You will have to run a full MKIV harness and ECU or Aristo harness and ECU if you plan to run in sequential mode. Not sure if you were using a 1J harness and ECU.

Jaguar

Permanent Ban
Apr 4, 2005
SoCal
www.supramania.com
I vote true twins! SupraNick had true twins (which I now own) and his car felt great! I might have them up for sale soon as I am leaning toward going a different route. PM me if you're interested in taking them off my hands.

kaifiji

no glove...no love
Oct 22, 2006
bay area
csnow said:
You will have to run a full MKIV harness and ECU or Aristo harness and ECU if you plan to run in sequential mode. Not sure if you were using a 1J harness and ECU.

this is going in my cressida, again so its gona be an ARISTO harness. oh, by the way, its gona be a 5 spd this time. so you guyz so true twins is better?

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
True Twinz for 5 speed
Sequential for autos

in an Auto u cant downshift so easy so having the sequential helps bring up booost FAST and smooth while in a 5 speed all u have to do is downshift and BAM those things kick in strong like a big single.

0not to mention getting rid of that Sequantial stuff REALLY cleans up the engine bay! :naughty:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
SupraNick said:
True Twinz for 5 speed
Sequential for autos

in an Auto u cant downshift so easy so having the sequential helps bring up booost FAST and smooth while in a 5 speed all u have to do is downshift and BAM those things kick in strong like a big single.

0not to mention getting rid of that Sequantial stuff REALLY cleans up the engine bay! :naughty:

good way of putting it!!!

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
OK heres a good question. I have a twin set up at home just sitting there. I was going to install it but a buddy did a twin set up and was having problems with surging where one turbo fought the other. So I decided to stay single.
Can someone comment on this?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with most of you.

If you have a properly functioning sequential system, I don't see any reason to ditch it... If I had to change a #2 turbo once or twice, well so be it. I would rather have the benefit of sequential. You will spool up and make power earlier from a dig. The ECU controls the sequential system. After the RPM where both turbos come online, they will stay that way unless you drop back below that RPM point(I believe it's around 3000?). So if you're racing from a dead stop, you will be able to make use of the sequential system to get out of the hole quicker, then it will be TTC after that. When you shift, you won't be respooling #1 and then #2 again but both in parallel. With the TTC mod, you are giving up that initial quick spool in the low end when it would actually be very helpful.

This is all assuming a properly functioning system... The problem is, there are a lot of cars with seq. systems that aren't working the way they're supposed to. Some experience problems like the 2nd turbo not coming online, not making adequate boost with #1, #2 not coming online until very late in the RPM range, not making full boost until very late in the RPM range, etc... Instead of diagnosing the problem which can take some time and is often tedious, they just take the easy out and ditch the whole system(which I can somewhat understand). Alot of them never had a properly functioning seq. system in the first place, so when they go TTC and does away with the problems they had before they say stuff like, "Man, TTC rocks! So much better than sequential." And everyone else that had a faulty seq. system and just went TTC puts their $.02 in and confirms how much better TTC is for them. If I had a dollar for every thread in the MKIV section on SF about a malfunctionic seq. system, well I'd have a lot of dollars...

TTC, all the lag of a single turbo with none of the power...

Last edited:

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
ttc seems like bad news with a modified car to me..

say you're trying to boost 18 psi on the first turbo.. you'll be overspinning the turbo till ~ 4000 or so when the 2nd turbo kicks in shortening its life.. then the rear turbo goes from 0 rpm to 120k rpm in a split second... that isn't good on it..

Lag isn't that big of a deal.. I have 18 psi by 3800 or so in ttc.. yes its laggier, but not big deal.. I'd rather have my turbos last..

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Turbo #1 should only be making a certain amount of boost no matter if your full boost is 13 psi or 20psi and #2 should be online before 4000. Those are some other problems people have with the system. If traction is a problem, a stickier tire can be used.

Running high boost will shorten the life of both turbos anyway. That's just the game we play. Stock turbos only live for so long at high elevated boost levels whether it be CT26, CT12A, or CT12B.

You didn't have sequential ever so it's not a big deal to you but if you did, I personally do not think saving the #2 for a little while longer is worth giving up the benefit of the seq. system. Sure the lag isn't unbearable with TTC but if you could defeat it and have less lag, I would take it.

If you have it and it works, keep it. If it's not working properly and you don't want to bother fixing it, ditch it for TTC.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
tissimo said:
Lag isn't that big of a deal.. I have 18 psi by 3800 or so in ttc.. yes its laggier, but not big deal.. I'd rather have my turbos last..

Thats what it seems alot of people go for, to make the turbos last. I'll probably do the ttc mod just to make them last longer for me.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I don't buy the "turbos will last longer" as a main reason to change to TTC.

The turbos will last longer if you leave it at stock boost but nobody does that for long...

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I did have everything for the TTC I pulled it all off as the downfalls of the system outweigh the benfits..

running the single #1 turbo at 15 psi is like running the twins at 30 psi.. The single turbo is flowing 2x the amount it should, on elivated boost levels it makes it even worse..

I'm pretty sure the ecu activates #2 at 4k+ I think around 4500... So it will not kick on before that

kaifiji

no glove...no love
Oct 22, 2006
bay area
OneJoeZee said:
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with most of you.

If you have a properly functioning sequential system, ...

so a stock ARISTO sequential setup is not a "properly functioning system" ?