Twin turbo 5vz-fe

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
So a friend of mine has a nice 5vz he doesn't need anymore. It'd be free to me. I've got a friend that's got a lot of experience in fabing mounts and such. he's into mr2s and is a huge fan of toyota v6 motors. He's currently working on a tt 3vz and thinks a tt 5v would be worth doing. I actually have the stock turbos/intercoolers off an 01 audi quatro that I recently saved from the crusher. I'm mainly just tryin to get the opinions of some supra guys. Think it'd be worth it? Like I said its free and it kinda sounds like fun. Not looking for major power or anything just something unique and reliable. Aside from the free 5v the junkyard near me has about 6 of these motors so I think parts would be pretty easy to come by. All opinions welcome. Thanks
PG

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have adapt the trans. Custom manifolds and such. And tuning.

If you got money I don't see why not. If not no way it's going to be that cheap.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What would you be putting it into? Free motors are rarely a bad thing, but if you don't have a goal in mind, I can see this project snowballing on you...

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Measurements are 26 inches wide 20 inches long 30 inches high from oil pan up. I've read about the bellhousing stuff from the tacoma and 4runner guys and its available for the r154 trans. Power goals are unsure as id like to get it tunning na and take it out from there. I don't have an unlimited budget but I should have enough for what I need. I've read the ecu can account for 6 pounds of boost stock because of the trd supercharger option. Someone with more insight feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, idealy its just motor mounts and a bellhouse and wiring. I know its never that easy, but one can dream right?

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Also its going into an 89 turbo mk3. I don't really trust my 7m enough to put anymore money into it and as the 5v is everywhere in alabama I figure why the hell not.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
6 psi on the sc is going to have a different flow rate than 6 psi with 2 turbos.

6 psi on a small turbo pushes less air than 6 psi on bigger turbo.

Basically if it were me I get some decent sized turbo like 2jz us turbos or some sr20 gt28's or something and just go standalone like ms3 or if there is a pnp aem for that motor.

Tuning is everything. Need something to control timing.

Also will prolly need bigger Injectors and you will need a bigger pump.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hvyman;1841646 said:
6 psi on the sc is going to have a different flow rate than 6 psi with 2 turbos.

6 psi on a small turbo pushes less air than 6 psi on bigger turbo.

Basically if it were me I get some decent sized turbo like 2jz us turbos or some sr20 gt28's or something and just go standalone like ms3 or if there is a pnp aem for that motor.

Tuning is everything. Need something to control timing.

Also will prolly need bigger Injectors and you will need a bigger pump.
Everything here man. I wouldn't remove a running 7m to put in a v6 in a Supra, but that's just me. If it's already blown though, knock yourself out, just understand that you will need a method of tuning. ;)

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
either way i keep hearing about people wanting to do this swap... is this a DD supra or a project car? if it's a DD i'd say no, don't do it too many variable about how this can turn out and also too much down time. if it's a project car. then go for it... someone needs to take on the challenge and attempt it.

if you do try the swap make sure you do a build thread i'd love to follow the progress on it.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I'm all for this.. In fact, if Toyota did another Supra (LF-A argument aside), it could very easily be a TT V6.

If my 1J ever let go, I'd be looking into the Toyota V6 or V8 route. Like Ian said, handling would be vastly improved and the car would be quite a bit lighter in just the right place.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Well I'm glad to see the interest in it. I do plan to go standalone. We've been pitching around the idea of giving a few different setups a shot. As between my friends and i we have a quit a few turbos sitting around waiting for some fun stuff to do. It will be mid summer before I can get the motor from him, so I might buy one from the yard if it starts to take to long. Regardless i'm doing this. I really find it hard to believe no one has.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Actually, I seem to recall a VZ in a Mk3 that was for sale sometime last year. It may have been an earlier model, I thought it was a 3.0 v6. I agree with the sentiments on handling though, as much as I love I6 engines for their smoothness and power capability (plus, that sound...), they tend to be a bit overweight.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
The 3.0 is the 3vz-fe. Which i think would be harder to put in. I've had and mk2 mr2 with one in my backyard for about a month while a buddy of mine finished up his swap. See my problem is I'm the only supra owner around a few mr2s. I've tried searching for 5vz stuff but not 3vz.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Update~
Got the motor to my house today. Probably won't have the time to work on it much till Monday. If I get time ill unbolt my r154 from the bellhousing to see how well, if at all, the bellhousing bolts up. If it does we move right along to fabing mounts, if it doesn't work then I have to find the 5 speed bellhousing from a hilux. I have no idea if there's a difference in the hilux bellhousing vs the us equivalent which I am under the impression is a tacoma. Ill be ordering megasquirt in 2 weeks and using a gm 3bar map sensor. Will be getting it running decent na before I get to boosting it. I haven't settled on a fuel pump yet so anyone with some ideas should chime in. Here's a few pictures of the motor as it sits

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w455/xxxpg13/2012-06-21_20-22-42_215.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w455/xxxpg13/2012-06-21_20-22-53_817.jpg

And right before we loaded it

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w455/xxxpg13/2012-04-30_10-53-20_851.jpg

Stay tuned, much more to come…

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Put an
tag (again with the brackets) after the URL, and check this out...

p1851309_1.jpg

Images with words. ;)

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Thanks, sorry I have never really had anything I thought was worth posting pictures of until I joined this site so I'm a bit of a newb. Just got off work, should know where I sit with the bellhousing situation in a bit. I'm tryin not to get my hopes up to much cause it really couldn't be this easy could it?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I don't know if the 5VZ engines inherited the head gasket problems from the earlier 3VZ engines, but you should check into it and take proactive steps to avoid it if they did. I would be sure to make sure you have enough radiator to keep it cool.

Only downside I see is it's a cast iron block, it would be better if it was aluminum (lighter weight)... but hey... free is free.

Edit: I happened across this article on a website today while I was researching brake pad edge codes, and I scanned through the article for info about my 3VZ engine and they mention the 5VZ has the same problem. They state it's a design problem with how the head loads the gasket, and that better gaskets than OEM are available. Pretty much just like a 7MGTE and it's inherent head gasket problems.

Edit: err.... this article... I forgot to post it before... http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Art...culprits_that_cause_head_gaskets_to_fail.aspx

Last edited: