twin td05-16g's - how to compare compressor maps to a large single?

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
so my car currently has twin trust td05-16'gs on it

the td05-16g compressor map looks like this

p637441_1.gif

now i dont know what, if any, the difference between a regular td05 and a trust td05 is, but assuming that map is the same, how would i go about finding a large single that would flow a similar amount of air to my twin td05s ? i dont really know how to read a compressor map, nevermind how to compare 2 of them to 1.

it will probably be a while before i change anything, but im thinking i would be better off running 1 big single, that way i can go ball bearing and get better spool, and save weight and complexity. the problem is the engine is kind of a mystery to me as it was built in japan, its a 1jz, and what i believe to be 272 cams. all i know for sure is i dont make boost till 4k, and full boost doesnt hit till 4500 (16psi), so because the engine is a mystery i dont know how to select a turbo for it other then by picking something that flows similar air to the 2 turbos i have now.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
You need to figure that 1/2 your engine is fed by 1/2 the turbo system.

In this case, instead of a 181ci (3L) motor, use a 90.5ci motor(1.5L), and see how it flows on your map.

Why are you wanting to ditch the twin TD05s? I always thought twin 16gs would be an amazing street setup!

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Doward said:

In this case, instead of a 181ci (3L) motor, use a 90.5ci motor(1.5L), and see how it flows on your map.

I understand the logic here... but isn't a 1JZ 2.5L? so 1.25L displacement to calculate the flow?

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
Doward said:

Why are you wanting to ditch the twin TD05s? I always thought twin 16gs would be an amazing street setup!

well the hope was a newer design dual ball bearing turbo would help me spool these things faster the car barely moves until you hit 4k, and doesnt really take off till 4500, around the city i almost never hit boost, by the time im making boost im breaking the speed limit by so much its not worth the risk haha

its definately a sweet setup on the track, not so great for the street,

im not sure of the power exactly, one of the turbos blew on the dyno ad by the time it got rebuilt there was no time for another pull before the car was brought to calgary from vancouver. but it was at 460rwhp at 5700 rpm when it blew with the power curve still going almost straight up. im hoping to get on the dyno again soon to see what it will really do, i would guess 550ish to the wheels.

i dunno i may not touch the setup at all, not sure if its worth the time and money just to save a little bit of wieght and pick up a few hundred rpm spool, but im still curious and would like to see what single turbo would compare to the twin setup i have

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
skip the twins they are on old technology wheels, a modern day single like a 61/67 or GT35 ect will spool faster and give abetter powerband. Now if you are takling twin gt28R's or something maybe i can see that.. but it's not worth it believe me other then the cool factor.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ah, yep - didn't see you were 1JZ ;)

Those turbos would respond better on a 3L motor, but wouldn't hold a candle to a good ball bearing turbo.

Of course, there is something to be said for not shelling out $1200+, too ;) Have you hit the drag strip with them yet?

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
A well chosen single will out perform twins that are setup for the the same power goals as the single .. it simple physics ..less rotating mass

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Depends on the size of the twins vs size of the single. It's possible to have a single with a higher rotating mass than a twin setup, but it is very rare (you're talking 2 top dollar setups vs 1 cheapo setup)

Generally, twins are set up for packaging reasons (such as on a V engine)

Either way, to the OP - what are your goals with the 1JZ?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Doward said:
Depends on the size of the twins vs size of the single. It's possible to have a single with a higher rotating mass than a twin setup, but it is very rare (you're talking 2 top dollar setups vs 1 cheapo setup)

My GT40-88 seems to have much more rotating mass then my two stock CT12As :)

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
Doward said:

Generally, twins are set up for packaging reasons (such as on a V engine)

Either way, to the OP - what are your goals with the 1JZ?

well i like the power i have now, i want to stay in the neighborhood of 500-550ish rwhp, but id like to get boost before 4500rpm if at all possible lol. so if i can keep my same peak power but pickup some spool, that would be my ultimate goal, which is why i was asking about comparing compressor maps, i was thinking (and correct me if im wrong) if i find a single whos compressor map is roughly the same as my twins, i can keep my peak power, and if i go with a newer ball beairng turbo, i should pickup some spool

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
A lot of the 3000GT guys are using twin 16G turbos, although in most cases they are using the higher flowing EVO16G's. I can't remember what the exact power rating of a small 16G is, but I believe its 340hp per turbo, so figure low 600's rwhp and there maxed out.

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
MRSUPRA said:
A lot of the 3000GT guys are using twin 16G turbos, although in most cases they are using the higher flowing EVO16G's. I can't remember what the exact power rating of a small 16G is, but I believe its 340hp per turbo, so figure low 600's rwhp and there maxed out.

well these are trust turbos, now i dunno if they actually do anything different to the turbo or if its just a plain old 16g with the trust name on it, but i guess ill find out soon once i sell my mr2 and get some money for dyno time and see how far i can push them