twan's supra build

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Okay so I have been a proud supra owner for 7 months now and I feel it's time to upgrade. It's a 1988 supra 7m-ge with front bumper off a 89. I bought the car with minor upgrades like 2.5" cat back exhaust, aftermarket k&n air filter, electric fan, and wideband gauge. Over the past 7 months I drove my supra as a dd and really got to know her. I learned that the doors don't operate or unlock below -10 degress Celsius, I learned that the abs feature comes in handy when approching dead traffic. And no matter how fast you go or if you have the best winter tires, you will fishtail on snow whiling driving on the highway :S (2 incidents I can recall near death experiences but no damage done).
And just the overal construction and engineering of the car I think is the best. So I've reached the 275,000 clicks and I noticed rod nock getting louder and loosing rad fluid and white exhaust smoke and burning engine oil and loss of power and harder to start the engine already warm. to me it sounds like a broken head gasket. So this is a perfect excuse to swap in a newer engine right?

so a lot of plans have changed. inspired by other builds on sm forums im sticking to reliable 7m after seeing whats its still capable of. so i recently put down a deposit on a rebuilt 7mgte engine and trani and will be picking it up soon! so now the build really starts.
well on that same day after coming home from leaving the deposit, my whining differential finally siezed and locked up on me on freeway 401 in toronto and so i pretty much drifted into the right hand shoulder and waited for CAA to come pick me up (i only payed $13 to get towed 22kms, everybody should have this!).
so now my car has been sitting in my garage for 2 weeks waiting for a diff. i have a couple contacts who i can get it from but waiting for them to get back to me...

this is my old 7m-ge
p1614521_1.jpg

body is in good shape
p1614521_2.jpg

got old 4.3 lsd out, when i opened the plate to see the damage, it smelt like burnt chicken and very little oil came out. so the seals leaked oil faster than i could top it due to the breather getting dirty and clogged.
p1614521_3.jpg

p1614521_4.jpg

so after getting the diff out i bought some heavy duty detergent from partsource and cleaned up all the dirt and oils and sprayed on "asphalt in a can" because i doubt the undercoating guy can get above the diff.
p1614521_5.jpg

p1614521_6.jpg

i dont have much room in my garage to do a engine swap, so im thinking of renting a storage place near by. 20' x 10' for $190 a month, if anybody can suggest something else. that would be great
p1614521_7.jpg

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
here are my "Plans":

goal: 400hp

already have
fully rebuilt 7m-gte
550 injectors
2 lexus afm (one spare)
turbo 5spd stock drive shaft
r154 with new toyota clutch
turbo cluster (because my na tach wont work with turbo engine)
extra auto climate control (plan to change leds to blue)
greddy type r bov
apexi safc II
coolez ic piping and ic
4 point weapon-r racing harness
brand new differential pinion seal and breather valve
Haste dual pass radiator

still need:
rear 3.73 lsd
aem true boost gauge
aem egt gauge
oil temp gauge
wideband gauge
oil filter relocation kit
battery relocation kit
3 gauge pod for pillar
afpr kit
walbro fuel pump
3'' high flow cat and muffler
New wind shield
rent or borrow a portable engine hoist
and a BIGGER TURBO (doing some research first)

i also want to set up my 2 JL 10'' subs in a custom mdf box so i can eliminate the spare tire and still be able to put the targa top in there
So once again if anyone has any suggestions please comment