Turbos that I don't know much about.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
OK! SO first and foremost I'm new to Supra Mk3s. I've wanted a Mk4 since I was seven and saw one at a car show. BUT my build limit is like 5k, so it won't happen. SO, I want to beef up a MK3 due to fund restraints. I have a hand full of questions and I'm hoping for answers and not a flaming, please. I haven't purchased anything yet, but would like to get my info right first. I want to buy a runner, or something that just needs time to be a nice running Supra.
1. Can I convert a 7M-GE into a GTE? And I don't mean a bolt on kit, like a full parts swap but all without pulling the motor. I no longer have access to that equipment.
2. Can I put an electric boost controller? http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3208 I wasn't sure if this requires some special turbo that is made to go in a kit with it. I defiantly think it would work, but I'd hate to take that chance.

Well thanks in advance. I'm trying not to seem dumb, but I'd hate to assume anything. I'd love to do a JZ swap, but it is too expensive for the Damian at this point.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Ok, so I just answered #2 for myself. http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=851&rsku=4084 I'd want that thing instead.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
1.) Yes and no. The GE has higher compression pistons than the GTE, good luck changing that without pulling the engine. There are some who do run with the GE pistons in a GE->T setup like what you're trying to do though. I don't know if I'd chance running the higher compression without getting an idea on what the condition of internals are though.

Honestly if you're wanting something that will serve you well and make reliable power, I'd say the better route would be to run the GE as is, save up for a GTE and rebuild it, then swap in the complete engine. The cars are getting old and many have seen more than their fair share of abuse over the years.

2.) Yes, you can use an electronic boost controller, but there are definitely cheaper ones out there. A popular "entry level" electronic boost controller is the Greddy Profec B, it's typically around half the cost that HKS one is listed at.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
Thanks, so how hard could I run boost on a GE if the internals were pristine? I've never really dealt with turbos but would love one.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I'd look for a factory turbo car if you haven't bought one yet. The easiest way to do the swap is motor for motor, but pretty much all the turbo parts bolt on hassle free.