Turbonetics Wastegate Question.

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
I have a 1jz Supra on a single, with a Turbonetics wastegate. The car has not boost controller and boost levels go to 18 psi (half throttle)then fuel cut kicks in. My question is; how do I lower the boost? do I have to get a low PSI spring from turbonetics ? In the picture of the Wastegate you can see where the vaccum hose is connected to the wastegate, but right under it theres another fitting, whats that for?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Connect the vacuum hose to the bottom port. Leave the top open.

The top port is for the boost controller (bleeder type controller, to add pressure in to assist the spring holding the valve closed)
Bottom port is pushing against the spring and opening the valve.

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
tissimo;1415647 said:
Connect the vacuum hose to the bottom port. Leave the top open.

The top port is for the boost controller (bleeder type controller, to add pressure in to assist the spring holding the valve closed)
Bottom port is pushing against the spring and opening the valve.

Alright, Thanks

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Yeah, the top port is only for if you have a feedback style boost controler other then that, Like tissimo said, leave the top port open and run the control vac. line to the lower port.

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
cjsupra90;1415969 said:
Yeah, the top port is only for if you have a feedback style boost controler other then that, Like tissimo said, leave the top port open and run the control vac. line to the lower port.

I did it and it's doing the same thing, I also tried adjusting the screw on top (loosening it out, and locking the nut) but it still doesn't open.

The boost happily makes its way to 18psi till it hits fuel cut

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
They can seize closed if not popped on a regular basis, try hooking a compressor to the side port with about 30psi on a regulator to free it up.
<edit>

Just looked at your pic, are you using the circled port as the boost reference?

If so that's your issue you need to use the port where the arrow is.

wg00.jpg

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
IJ.;1416220 said:
They can seize closed if not popped on a regular basis, try hooking a compressor to the side port with about 30psi on a regulator to free it up.
<edit>

Just looked at your pic, are you using the circled port as the boost reference?

If so that's your issue you need to use the port where the arrow is.

wg00.jpg

I'm using it where the arrow is (bottom port). Im gonna try using the compressor on it to see if it frees up

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
IJ.;1416294 said:
No off the circled WG port!

Just stick a bolt in the hose it to blank it off for now leaving the WG port open to atmosphere.

just took it for a drive( with no line connected to WG) and its still doing the samething

Out curiosity I went ahead and tried connecting it to the bottom port and noticed a vaccum coming from the top port

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tura_1JZ;1416307 said:
just took it for a drive( with no line connected to WG) and its still doing the samething

Out curiosity I went ahead and tried connecting it to the bottom port and noticed a vaccum coming from the top port

Popped the diaphragm.

The Top port unless it's going to an EBC or a MBC Bleeder will cancel out the bottom port and you get no WG as reported.

But if it has burst the diaphragm you'll get no WG, so 2 issues here.

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
IJ.;1416312 said:
Popped the diaphragm.

The Top port unless it's going to an EBC or a MBC Bleeder will cancel out the bottom port and you get no WG as reported.

But if it has burst the diaphragm you'll get no WG, so 2 issues here.

So I Need to save up for a new WG then:biglaugh:

Thanks for th help

Last edited:

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
yeah, if your getting vacuum from the top port then as Ian said, you have popped the diaphram. You can get new diaphrams (much cheaper then buying a whole new wastegate)....

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
IJ.;1416772 said:
Nah as Chris said just replace the diaphragm and you're good to go! :)

I put in the diaphragm and it's still not maintaining a steady boost level. Is there a place where they can rebuild it? The leak is coming from the shaft on the bottom chamber seal( not diaphragm). I checked on ebay and the same Wastegate (Turbonetics 10733 NewGen Wastegate) new goes for $900.00 . I don't want to spend that kinda money but if there's no alternative I will.

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1494953 said:
Crap is your original wastegate a china knock off?
I am using the Tial myself but purchased it direct from them.

You can not skimp out on the wastegate.

Trust me I know, bad wastegate= blown engine, I'm ordering the wastegate from JEGS.
Im not going to cut and re-weld the manifold to fit downgrade either. the wastegate came with the car so it must of been a knock off or just defective (highly doubt)