Turbo will not separate from elbow? need suggestions.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Bolts are off of EVERYTHING that needs to be taken off. I tried taking the bolts off where the turbo elbow connects to the downpipe...1/2in VERY large breaker bar with a 1/2in quick large extension...pretty stong guy and nothing, my friend also tried, doesn't even budge. I plan on getting a downpipe that replaces the elbow so i have to get the elbow off the turbo. I tried to get a flathead in there and use a rubber mallet and some swearing to get it apart. I followed the TSRM and didn't miss anything, help me pleaseeee.

suprasnd

Jul 14, 2007
Flinton, PA
InFrnt0fU said:
Bolts are off of EVERYTHING that needs to be taken off. I tried taking the bolts off where the turbo elbow connects to the downpipe...1/2in VERY large breaker bar with a 1/2in quick large extension...pretty stong guy and nothing, my friend also tried, doesn't even budge. I plan on getting a downpipe that replaces the elbow so i have to get the elbow off the turbo. I tried to get a flathead in there and use a rubber mallet and some swearing to get it apart. I followed the TSRM and didn't miss anything, help me pleaseeee.

BFH is what is needed now. Sounds like it rusted into place!! Did you disconnect the downpipe under the car to allow movement? BTW - BFH = Big FU*&ing hammer. My elbow seperates as soon as bolts are loose. Just a few suggestions.

Keith

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
InFrnt0fU said:
Mine did this as well. I had to put a pb buster on it and let it sit for a few hours. Just get some or another penatraing oil at your local parts store and as in the previous response a BFH. If you know someone with a big impact they do wonders as well.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I had to soak the turbo and elbow assembly in PB blaster for a few days, get out a torch and heat the bastard up and beat the FUCK out of it with a hammer to get it to come off...

really sucked, rust had folled the gaps between the studs and the holes in the elbow they go through, get PB blaster in there, take a wire wheel to the studs to get it fairly clean as best as you can, and then warm up the area that goes around the studs to get it to break free...

My other turbo never gave me an issue though...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
when we mean beat it, we mean BEAT THE HELL OUTTA IT...

I have a 5 pound sledge with about a foot long handle and it still a hell of a beating to get it budge...

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Wow I guess I lucked out, sprayed on some PB, had a smoke and a beer, came back and used a spackle tool and a rubber mallet and it split apart.

Poodles said:
when we mean beat it, we mean BEAT THE HELL OUTTA IT...

I have a 5 pound sledge with about a foot long handle and it still a hell of a beating to get it budge...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the one on my car came off easy... the one I got from the other engine wasn't so fun...

wonder what the difference was...

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
You could use an air hammer or do what everyone else suggested use the blue wrench and cut it off.....mine wasn't a problem except the bottom inside bolt seized up and pulled the stud out of the turbo.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Poodles said:
the one on my car came off easy... the one I got from the other engine wasn't so fun...

wonder what the difference was...

When I bought my car I found records of two seperate HG jobs on the car, so I think the mechanics before did me a favor in advance by taking it off twice before. My cousins on the other hand didn't have a BHG repair.