Turbo vs N/A Cams Dyno Compare

Judgeing By Dyno Sheet, which cams are better?

• N/A

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Turbo

Votes: 28 90.3%

• Total voters

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Tampering with smog equipment is an EPA (federal) issue. A non-compliant engine (1j) would fall into that category. But it is enforced by the state (police, smog shop, etc). But if they don't look (or care to look) then theoretically, you don't have much to worry about. Besides, how many non-supra people are really going to know the difference (in look) between a 7m and a 1j, or even know a 1j was never sold in the US (not counting a smog shop or state ref)?

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
true the chances are very slim. Does anyone have any info about the 7mgte vs the 1jzgte for emission/smog testing? Would the 1jzgte pass the 7mgte sniffer test?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
The 1j should pass with a stock cat on it, I'll let you know if I ever get a letter. There is no way in hell i would pass right now tho.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
if you have an SAFC on it, you can make it pass more... just lean it out under idle and cruise conditions more than usual... people have made AEM cars with big injectors and pumps pass emissions.

btw, the NA cams start to become more of a limiting factor the higher you go with power production. id like to say its when start getting to the 400hp mark and north of it. but for a stock CT or upgraded CT, the NA cams could be a great, cheap, mod which could enhance street performance. the power would come on sooner but i dont see it staying on as many people have been stating.

i beleive it was poodles who said it best; Area under the curve. early peak and early fall-off isnt really as desirabe as waiting another 500-800rpm for the torque and actually having it stay on longer than NA cams.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Poodles said:
wonder if you put a 7M-GTE sticker on a 1J they would pass it...

A 1J at 'first' glance wouldn't look to be anything suspicious.

Then if you've got a visual inspection and there's lack of an EGR? Boned if you need it.
edit: Just found a thread that says low NOx levels were needed, not the EGR. Though the EGR would assist with the NOx levels a good deal. Boink.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yeah, EGR would help that...

California is REALLY tough on cars, and it's the birthplace of the damn hotrod...

complete contridiction, you'd think the state would implode on it's own stupidity...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Nick M said:
Why worry about a drastic change, when the dispute on this topic is only about 10 hp or so? And by the way, the more outrageous the engine, the more the added lift will benifit. .35mm is enough that Toyota recomends changing it, so it probably does effect performance.

And for whomever asked about the specs...

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=48

The drastic change isnt the 10 horsepower and neither is the dispute. The drastic change and dispute, is witch cam is better. And its actually 26 more horsepower with the turbo cams and the same mods.

N/A cams drop off torque at 3000rpm where as the turbo cams make equal to more torque from 3000rpm on. so therefore, normal wear and tear, Wouldn't show that drastic of a difference as to totally throw off the torque curves to that extent.

I Those specs aren't the duration and lift at .050". anyone got them?

cjpp78

Apr 3, 2006
lavonia GA
strange, I have a 7mgte and some years back when I dynoed it bpu the graph looked like the na cam motor here. I made 301bft @ 3200rpm (11psi) and torque droped from that point just like na graph here. Guess its possible that the scum bag that did my head gasket could have switched out my cams on me.