Turbo Timer.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
Just bought a "89" 7mgte from my friend and I am IMMENSELY FULL OF JOY due to my last supra was a 7mge with a cracked block:cry: I just learned that they can prolong the life of a turbo by letting the car idle for a short period of time to Kool the oil and turbo after use.My question is why does my Turbo Timer have buttons numbered 1 to 5,is that the length of optional time of minutes for it to idle? 2nd what are some of your opinions on me adding Lucas oil stablizer due to it has 170 thousand some miles on it?

Last edited:

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Turbo timers are a godsend, because no one wants to sit in their car and idle down for a few... They are easy to install too.. Lucas... some people love it, some people hate it.. It's good for car lots to quiet noisy engines down, as for a 7mgte, not sure if I would or not.. Oil stabilizers have different chemical makeups than oil.. It sticks to engine parts better, but with heat over time, it'll turn into a thick slab of gunk basically.. I'm not a big fan...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
If you are using a decent oil and on the stock ct 26 a turbo timer seems pretty useless IMO. Unless you are doing a hard boost run and then coming to a stop and turning you car off immediately, I just don't see any reason. If you drive casually the last mile or two before you reach your destination your turbo has had plenty of time to cool down. On the occasion that you do run the car hard and stop right away, its not hard to let it idle a half minute or so, but doing it every time you turn the car off is overkill. All it does is keep the oil from coking in the turbo which shouldn't really be an issue with a quality oil (oil has come a long way in the past 25 years)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Oil has come a long way and doesn't coke us as easily. Water cooled turbos will still cool after the car is turned off as well.

Stay well clear of Lucas...

Anicrow

Jul 25, 2007
Colorado
Stock recommendation on Turbo Supras from the factory is 1 minute cool down for casual driving and 5 minutes for aggressive driving.

Buttons could be different programmed settings, some timers have auto modes that time it based on your driving...depends what you got look it up on google.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
my turbo timer has 2 settings 1 at 1 minute and 2 at 2 minutes, and if i feel the need to have more time i can always add it in up to ten minutes. It works great i believe its never a bad thing to run cooler oil and water through the turbo after a hard run. And hey, its a nice way to put heat cycles in your car after you put a new headgasket on. :naughty:

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
i have a stock ct26 running 14psi plus i have a heavy foot so a turbo timer is GOD send..my only problem is when i lock the doors the alarm doesnt kick in at all.. i have to wait till the car fully shuts off and relock my car so the OEM alarm becomes armed....im useing a hks TT

SupraBro

Just a idea for you, you can get a viper remote start just make sure it is a DEI product and use the turbo timer built in to the unit. You can have a alarm and keyless with it too!!!

VIPER 5901 is what i am running, there is a bunch of stuff you can do with it

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
5min is way over kill. Max would be like 2min. If you let it idle for too long the oil temps can actually get hotter as with the rest of the engine.