turbo/size?

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
im getting close to finishing getting the motor in my car squared away, and the turbo might let go soon after i get this thing running, so im starting to look into my turbo options. i dont really want to rebuild/upgrade the CT, im looking for a new and bigger turbo. i know the sp61 is a very nice one that bolts right on to the stock mani. i was also thinking of a t04e with a new mani. i talked to kevin from MVP and he helped me out a bit, but im still not too sure how to choose which size i should get, etc. ill probably end up getting lex AFM and injectors with pump/AFPR with SAFC until i can get the MAFT, its just the whole wide turbo option i dont know about. :1zhelp:

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
It comes down to your Power Goals. Personally going with anything other than a BB turbo from garrett doesn't make sense. A GT3041R for 300-400 HP or GT3582R for 400-600 HP are excellent choices, 935motorsports has GT35R that is suposed to be adaptable to the stock header. GT3540R

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=57886.0
i was going to go with this turbo, but i thought it would be too large of a compressor size for my goals. didn't want to deal with the lag.

http://www.turbotime.us/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1D60000-1128981286
i looked into these guys too. these turbos have Sy/Ty specific turbine housings, but i did email them and asked if they can be swapped for a regular T4 tang house. I believe he said he would do it for the same price. you'd have to ask him. not a bad price for a dual ball bearing PTE.

seriously guys, are these new Garrett GT series turbo worth the money? nearly $1400 for a non ball bearing turbo!? or do these GT turbos come with DBB's? let say this GT3540R... what is it equivelant to? 60-1? T61? how much better is it than a coventional turbo? is there some kind of write up on these turbos?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Umm Yeah, the new GT series is the sh!t.

935motorsports said:
Dual Ball Bearing GT35/GT40R Turbo assembly.

T3 Inlet Flange Available in .63 or .83 A/R

60-1 style compressor housing with 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet

Supports 600HP itself, but is a great as a street turbo

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
ooh, i must have overlooked the Dual Ball Bearing part. yeah, but that turbo i posted supports 680hp, DBB, 4"inlet, .70a/r compressor, PTE quality and is a little cheaper. i guess what i'm asking is do the new GT series have much better compressor wheels. do they some kind of break through technology that make them a more advanced turbo than the old ones? or any other turbo for that matter? are they more efficient? or are GT's just the flavor of the month until someone else comes out with something new and dethrones them?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
EdgeSupra said:
oh yeah, haha forgot to psot- my power goal is around 450, 500 would be cool.

heck, i would go with a 60-1 or 62-1 T04e with a .58a/r tang. hotside. that'll get you right where you wanna be with decent spool up time.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Suprapowaz!(2) said:
ooh, i must have overlooked the Dual Ball Bearing part. yeah, but that turbo i posted supports 680hp, DBB, 4"inlet, .70a/r compressor, PTE quality and is a little cheaper. i guess what i'm asking is do the new GT series have much better compressor wheels. do they some kind of break through technology that make them a more advanced turbo than the old ones? or any other turbo for that matter? are they more efficient? or are GT's just the flavor of the month until someone else comes out with something new and dethrones them?
If you study the comp maps of the new gts, yes they made a break through in tech and I don't think they are just a fad, 1.06 A/R exhaust hitting positive boost <2000 rpm. That means something...

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
ok, IJ has a huge thread about the GT35R and i was looking into it, it sounds like such a nice turbo. i talked to joe @ precision and he says they go for like 1500 bucks. is there a turbo with roughly the same specs and pushes about the same air, but is cheaper without the DBB? i know it wont spool nearly as quick, but im just looking at all options before i know what i want. and is the GT35R a T3 or T4 flange? i know this thing pushes enough air for upwards of 500 horsepower, and im only looking for about that much so is it worth it to go DBB, or would it be more cost efficient to go with something like Suprapowaz said - 60-1/62-1TO4E. im still kind of considering one of the drop ins like the SP61, but im trying to narrow down the field a bit.

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
while tempt yourself with a piece of cake and leave you wanting more when you can have the whole thing. i know it's not my money but BB all the way:icon_bigg:evil2:

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
IJ. said:
Edge: It's not my thread I was just answering the question :)

oooh, gotcha, then I guess my point was that IJ HAS the GT35R and I was taking into consideration everything he was saying. I dont want to start praising the thing on this thread since there is already an extensive one out there.