turbo rebuild or new

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
so i don't know a whole lot about the actual components inside a turbo. my turbo is still spooling fine with minimal shaft play but i think the oil seals are going out as i am blowing oil into the exhaust and intercooler piping. my question is would it be a good idea for me to buy a kit to reseal the turbo myself? i'm not too sure of what is involved, if i'm just putting in new seals and bearings does it need to be balanced? if it's not feasable for me to do it myself i will most likely opt for a 57 trim from driftmotion, but would rather not spend the $500 right now.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
lol yeah thats kinda why i was wanting some input. i have rebuilt motors, trannys, and rear ends but never had a turbo apart. i didn't know if it was as simple as unbolt replace seals and put back together or if i should go ahead and fork out the money and quit bitchin

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
If you have rebuilt engines, transmissions, and rear end that a turbo should not be a problem for you. Just to be on the safe side, I would save up the money to buy a new one then try to rebuild the one on your car. That way if it turns out to be a can of worms you have the money saved to get a new turbo. If you are successful you have some spare cash saved up. I'm sure if you searched for it there should be a write up either on here or on the web some where to give you a step by step on how to do it. Good luck either way.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
if its just a matter of measuring clearances, i should be able to handle it. i just didn't know if it needed to be balanced or anything when the seals were replaced. i've got the money for a new one if it comes down to it, but i wanted to hear it was possible for me to do without screwin it up. i guess i can try and if worse comes to worst i can go ahead and buy new.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
It spins at 100+k rpm, which made me worried about working on it, so I sent it in to G-Pop Shop. Yes, it needs to be balanced, because any crap that comes off of either wheel will throw it off. They'll clean everything before balancing and putting it back together.

Last edited: