Turbo Questions

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Hey i have a few questions regarding the turbo. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on intercoolers and piping for the turbo? size? should i relocate piping? also what kind of wastegates and blow off valves are good? any suggestions on the turbo setup would be much appreciated thanks!!

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Well i know its not that origanl turbo. its one of the same type except the inlet and outlet have been bored and so have the oil galleys. Its set to 18 PSI right now. I want to replace the piping because i think there is a leak somewhere. the gauge hits full boost but the boost isnt hitting the engine with its full power. and whenever i boost it smells like oil right after. the guy i got it from says its the piping. and also said i should upgrade the intercooler if i want more power.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
I also heard somewhere that the intake manifold off of a 1jz or 2jz would bolt on to the 7m. is this correct? that would be sweet cause then i could relocate the turbo piping to go beside the engine instead of over the top of it :(

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
87turbotarga;1574103 said:
Well i know its not that origanl turbo. its one of the same type except the inlet and outlet have been bored and so have the oil galleys. Its set to 18 PSI right now. I want to replace the piping because i think there is a leak somewhere. the gauge hits full boost but the boost isnt hitting the engine with its full power. and whenever i boost it smells like oil right after. the guy i got it from says its the piping. and also said i should upgrade the intercooler if i want more power.

Oh where to start?

First off, what boost guage are you running that you see the turbo hitting 18psi (stock boost is only 6.8psi)? What fuel mods do you have to be safely hitting 18psi? What piggybacks or standalone are you running to bypass fuel cut allowing you to build 18psi? Are you running a boost controller or is the internal wastegate actuator shimmed; allowing you to hit 18psi?

Smelling oil during boost has nothing to do with intercooler piping. Does the turbo smoke? If so, its seals may be shot.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

87turbotarga;1575030 said:
I also heard somewhere that the intake manifold off of a 1jz or 2jz would bolt on to the 7m. is this correct? that would be sweet cause then i could relocate the turbo piping to go beside the engine instead of over the top of it :(

No. The 1J/2J intake manifolds are not plug and play on a 7M. You'd spend more on modding one to fit then actually purchasing a custom FFIM from an SM vendor. Trust me.

Last edited:

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
I have an aftermarket boost gauge that goes to 30 PSI. wastegate is shimmed to hit 18 PSI. The turbo Is new according to the previous owner. it looks new aswell. less than 3k miles on it. 550cc injectors on it. no piggyback or standalone but somehow it hits full boost without fuel cut so maybe the previous owner did something. Turbo does not smoke. the only time the car every smoked was when i was first looking at it there was an oil leak from the Cam Angle sensor the was leaking onto the exhaust causing smoke. i tightened the cam angle sensor and it hasnt smoked since.