Turbo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyn&tara

supra addicts
Jun 6, 2005
Somerset. England
I have parted out a couple of turbos recently. During the process i found that one of the turbos has 12 vanes on the cold side where as all the others have 10 vanes. Also the tips appear to be white. Is this a ceramic coating?
What does it all mean?
The car came to us as a non runner with blown head gasket so i never drove it and as the body was rotten the best thing to do was to remove the engine etc and build back up for a good body so i don't know how it performed and the previous owner details were lost with a computer crash.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Usually you bump once a day... Was the turbo in question a CT-26? If so, it may be an upgraded turbo. Don't know about the tips, but I see that on plenty of new turbos and compressors. You should have put that baby on yours and seen how it ran ;).

martyn&tara

supra addicts
Jun 6, 2005
Somerset. England
starscream5000 said:
Usually you bump once a day... Was the turbo in question a CT-26? If so, it may be an upgraded turbo. Don't know about the tips, but I see that on plenty of new turbos and compressors. You should have put that baby on yours and seen how it ran ;).

No thats dump over here lol.
Yes it is a ct26. Everything else is as std.
I thought perhaps it was a later turbo factory upgrade.
I will be bolting it on to one of ours just have to see what happens.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
martyn&tara said:
...one of the turbos has 12 vanes on the cold side where as all the others have 10 vanes. Also the tips appear to be white. Is this a ceramic coating?...
Both of the CT26 turbos I owned had 10 fins on the compressor side.
Is there anyway you can measure the diameter of the fins at different points to see if it is even the stock size?
I believe that the stock compressor wheel is made of aluminum, and aluminum is pretty easy to diagnose by scratching it very lightly.
If it is soft, you know it is aluminum, if it won't scratch, then you know it is ceramic.
For that procedure, I would use an iron nail.
And don't gouge the fin, just a light scratch should tell you what you have.

Here is what mine looked like if it helps you at all.

Attachments

• PICT0978.JPG
    PICT0978.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PICT0979.JPG
    PICT0979.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PICT0983.JPG
    PICT0983.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PICT0984.JPG
    PICT0984.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 8

martyn&tara

supra addicts
Jun 6, 2005
Somerset. England
Thanks for the replys guys.
Now checked six turbos that i have kicking around here and all others have 10 fins. As i said it appears to be the same as any other ct26 apart from the extra fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.