Turbo Oil Seal On Way Out?

JZASeventy

Feb 6, 2011
Calgary
So i have a stock 1jz in my JZa70 and lately Ive been noticing some pretty decent white smoke coming from the exhaust, it first started happening after longer drives or more spirited driving but now it smokes even after my shorter drive to work. Changed my oil recently and when i checked it yesterday it was down to almost half full already. My assumption is its on of the turbo oil seals as I've heard its fairly common problem, does this sound right? Any other ways to double check?
Thanks

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
I went through that nightmare with my 7m, check your intercooler piping and see if theres any oil on there now, then cheek your y pipe. It's gonna be a muthafucken bitch on your 1j, though. From experience when it's your turbo going out you can tell when your boosting and let off the gas and you'll see a white cloud of smoke. Start saving for a single turbo setup, that's what I'm doing with right now, saving up so when it does happen!! Lol

JZASeventy

Feb 6, 2011
Calgary
Hmm ill check the intercooler piping tonight and see.
And no it doesn't smoke on a cold start up but after driving and parking it continually smokes
Cant tell whether on Accel or decel as it isnt thick enough to see from inside the car while driving

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Damn thats how my 7m started dude. What color is the smoke? When it starts smoking like you say it does, put your hand right on top of the muffler. If it's moisty a sweet smell, coolant and oil will be greyish and will have a rough smell.

JZASeventy

Feb 6, 2011
Calgary
Pulled off the intercooler piping closest to turbos after letting it run for a couple minutes, seemed to be slightly moist in there and there seemed to be some oil in the seals, how much oil would you expect to see?
Also how long would it be safe to drive with this problem?
or any other possible options of what it could be?

Master Bator

Oct 4, 2009
Lethbridge
Instead of starting a new thread i will post here.

I think my turbo's are on their way out as well.

I don't get any smoke on start up, or any smoke during driving at all.

If i don't boost at all its fine. If im going up the hill in my city (which requires me to use the turbo's) and at the top of the hill i can start to smell something. It doesn't smell like burning oil but rather has a sweet bitter smell to it.

After i use the turbo's, my car starts to sound like a motorbike and has big back firing, (when im on throttle, i let off and tap the gas pedal and i get a big back fire). If i drive it nice and then shut it off and start it up again, its all good untill i use the turbo's again.

this is on a 1991 toyota cresta, but same engine

JZASeventy

Feb 6, 2011
Calgary
^^ either way does that sound like it could be the source of the problem??
Also checked pcv valve but it wasnt stuck, still rattled around when i shook it

B8I3G.jpg

Also this connection seemed pretty oily after driving today, that any help?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats the othe vent for the pcv. Might try replacing the pcv with a 2jz one since there so cheap. Seen people with pcv problems and blowing smoke.

JZASeventy

Feb 6, 2011
Calgary
Ill have to wait till the weekend to check for play but ill try to pick up a new pcv valve tomorow and see if that helps
Thanks

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Master Bator;1720359 said:
Instead of starting a new thread i will post here.

I think my turbo's are on their way out as well.

I don't get any smoke on start up, or any smoke during driving at all.

If i don't boost at all its fine. If im going up the hill in my city (which requires me to use the turbo's) and at the top of the hill i can start to smell something. It doesn't smell like burning oil but rather has a sweet bitter smell to it.

After i use the turbo's, my car starts to sound like a motorbike and has big back firing, (when im on throttle, i let off and tap the gas pedal and i get a big back fire). If i drive it nice and then shut it off and start it up again, its all good untill i use the turbo's again.

this is on a 1991 toyota cresta, but same engine

Dude I have the same problem with the dieseling(motorbike sound), but I'm starting to think it's caused by the slack on my belt since then tensioner is broken??? I would like more insight into this as I'm puzzled like fuxx!

Master Bator

Oct 4, 2009
Lethbridge
Well i know my power steering pulley is bent. a little bit. I can see it wobble when its running.

But i can in no way shape or form see that being related to the turbo or engine sound. Its not even connected, its on its own belt.

driving around today, going up the hill i could really smell it, but when i got off boost it didn't sound like a motorbike anymore, but it did before when i was driving on a flat road without boosting.

i turned my boost off, so i can't say how its boosting. I need this car. Its my daily driver. Trying to save up for single turbo

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah (JZASeventy) it sounds like you've got PCV or breather problems, not necessarily a turbo issue.

When turbos wear out (in my experience anyway) they usually start by puffing out some blue smoke from the exhaust when you let the car idle for a few minutes and then drive off. Although, PCV problems can cause that too. My car is smoking after long periods of idling so I picked up a 2JZ PCV valve to swap in there. I looked at the stock 1JZ valve and I see nothing wrong with it, but toyota recalled it so I figure for $2 it's worth trying the 2JZ valve before I dig deeper. I already have the breather routed with 5/8" hose to a catch can and the turbo inlet pipe breather fitting capped. I did that when I put the motor in.

If it's not the PCV, it's either bad turbos, bad rings, or bad valve stem seals. I hope it's the PCV. I'm gonna pull the plugs monday to see if there's signs of oil burning. That would point to the PCV valve in my case (or the motor). I have no signs of oil in the intake tract, so my compressor seals aren't leaking (maybe the turbines are though).

To the other two guys... bad turbo's burn oil. Oil smoke is bluish white and smells like... oil smoke. Not sweet smelling at all. The turbo does have coolant jackets in the center section, but they almost never crack and leak coolant into the engine/exhaust. If you smell coolant burning (sweet smell with pure white smoke) and your car is running poorly, you have other problems (check for coolant leaks, including the head gasket).

Master Bator

Oct 4, 2009
Lethbridge
Yikes. Might have to look into it more.

Seems to be leading towards turbos because im down on oil. Maybe im just not noticing the blue smoke?

I know its not a coolant burning smell. Ive blown enough water pumps and headgaskets to know what burning coolant smells like.

its more like an oil smell. maybe it smell different because i used castrol and not AMSoil like i usually do.

if i check intercooler piping and there is oil in there, then i know its turbo's right?

Its just really hard to diagnose a car problem that seems turbo related, on a vehicle that is known to blow to turbos.