Turbo, Oil & Fuel gauges off. How to repair them?

nsrman

Nov 15, 2012
Blaenau Ffestiniog
Hi, Got an '89 Mk3 (7MGTE) a few months back, Replaced head gasket - Bolts torqued down to correct amounts, No steam from exhaust anymore! Engine started but idle was rough, Might be running on 5 cylinders? Fuel gauge was working then it failed, The turbo boost gauge, Oil gauge and fuel gauge dont work now. Tacho and temp gauges are ok. I'm new to this car and dont know where the fuses are for the instrument cluster or which plugs to check if one or more have come loose. I do have a manual and another on CD but I cant find the right info, If anyone can help with this issue or to do with rough running engine it would save my arse!

Thanks, Mark B.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
All those gauges have the same power source. The boost gauge is either unplugged or does not have a reference signal. The sensor is on the driver side fender near the firewall. I would make sure it is plugged in and has the hose attached at both ends. On the oil pressure I would just make sure it is hooked back up. It is under the turbo so it is easy to miss.

As far as the fuel gauge that is a tough one. Did you unplug the sender for any reason?

nsrman

Nov 15, 2012
Blaenau Ffestiniog
Hi Al, Didn't touch the sender on the fuel tank, When I first started the car the fuel gauge was working then it went off. I stripped the engine down enough to change a BHG. Rebuilt everything with fresh gaskets and some new un-corroded bolts. I set the CPS and it finally fired up. Oil pressure and boost guages never moved. Is there a fuse box for the instruments? I have a Haynes manual that skips many details.
Thanks.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I wasn't too far from there a few months ago. We have a factory in Presteigne that makes specialty circuit boards.

Anyway, if the temp and tach are working, then the power source should be good as they all share it.

nsrman

Nov 15, 2012
Blaenau Ffestiniog
Hi Jetjock & 3p141592654, First thanks Jet for the wiring details, I'm not the best sparky(electrician) but at least I have a start point now. And 3p... thanks also for the info, Think I need to strip the meter and test connections. Just saved approx £7000 on repairs due to seized brakes and a BHG, Did the work myself for £80(parts) and time inbetween monsoon weather!

nsrman

Nov 15, 2012
Blaenau Ffestiniog
Cont...Toyota have a pricing policy of adding zeros to your bill! New spark plugs needed and hopefully it should be able to overtake the starship Enterprise lol! Thanks again.