turbo heat shield or wraps

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Has anyone used anything other than stock heat shield to cover ct26 turbo? I wanna do some sort of blanket and wanted to know what some of you have used?

I have the dm 57trim and noticed that my intake pipe is getting hot. I used a wrap on in that is supposed to keep heat out and cool in, or viceversa. so far from touch the pipe is staying cooler, but until i install an iat gauge i wont know the exact temp.

Also seen a turbo blanket, universal, on thermotec.com just wanted to know what you have used that works good thanks

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well the temperature of the pipe may not be the same temperature of the air flowing threw it. When your in the throttle the air will be moving so quickly threw the pipe i find it relatively doubtful the air will gain any heat from the hot pipe because of purely the lack of time it will have to do it.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
When I had my CT26 I just used the stock heat shield combined with my exhaust manifold and downpipe being coated with Jet-Hot 2000. I also had the stock heat shields on the manifold. It worked well IMO but of course my intake pipe still got hot. I never took any temp readings so I don't have hard data to say how much the Jet Hot helped. I'm currently upgrading to a BOSS Sr. turbo and a new BIC downpipe, ceramic coated. For the BOSS, I'm not going to use the stock heat shield and instead I'll use a turbo wrap from thermotec (http://www.thermotec.com/products/15001-turbo-insulating-kit.html). I'm also wrapping my intake pipe with the thermotec wrap (http://www.thermotec.com/products/14500-cool-air-tube-heat-shield.html).

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
89supra7mgte;1598028 said:
I used a wrap on in that is supposed to keep heat out and cool in, or viceversa. so far from touch the pipe is staying cooler, but until i install an iat gauge i wont know the exact temp.
Think of heat like current flowing through a circuit. Thermal wraps/coatings act as a resistor slowing down the heat transfer and is related to time. The greater the difference in temperature between the hot object and the cold object, the greater the heat transfer (which will decline as more heat/energy is given to the colder object.. assuming the hot object is a constant unchanging heat source, equilibrium and open vs. closed system are other matters). Cliffnotes: Heat transfer goes from Hot object to Cold object.

I'm using a Titan Motorsports turbo blanket and DEI exhaust wrap on my exhaust manifold. I can safely put my hand on the turbo blanket and not burn after a few pulls if that gives you any idea.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok that does help. i do have the stock heat shields on mani but do not have any for turbo and figure if i am going to spend money on them i might as well just use that money towards something better you. thanks guys