Turbo exhaust housing blanket or ceramic coating?

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Does anyone know of a good vendor that makes a turbo exhaust housing heat blanket? I've searched and only found a kind of heat shield. I was looking to wrap my turbo housing with a product similar to exhaust manifold heat wrap material. Was also considering having it ceramic coated. What about the benefits about doing that and wasn't there some guy on here that would do it for me?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Yea, talk to Keane over at BoostLogic. Tell him I sent you. Keane's blankets rock. They really help keep the heat in the hot side. Most of us who roadrace use them.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
+1 more for the boost logic blankets. Run one on my car and its great. Only problem is it smells like cooking french fries when you break it in....

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
ok, my opinion. for $150, I'd rather go for the ceramic coating, but don't go with jethot. Find a local shop that does powercoating. Many of them are now setup for ceramic.

Now, for $150, that is their "LOT" charge, so you can take in your exhaust housing, compressor housing, downpipe, exhaust manifold, intercooler piping, 3000 pipe, etc, all for the price of one blanket. heck, take in your cam covers, and anything else you can remove... media polished silver ceramic looks pretty nice.

Last edited:

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Is there a product similar to the brake caliper paint that has ceramic in it that the layman can use (funds are not the best right now), or is having it professionally done the ONLY way to go? I thought there was a board memeber on here at one time that had the capability to do this for us (for a fee of course). I just can't remember who that was.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
well, you can buy powder coating kits on ebay, and bake it in your oven... I'm sure someone has a ceramic kit that is similar if you want to save $20 and do it yourself.

If you are low on funds, get a group of people in your area to pitch in with you. Remember, it is a "LOT" charge so no matter how many parts you get coated (up to a point), it's going to only be $150.

Last time I got stuff coated, my batch only came out to $40.

Also, if you find a nice place, and you just want the exhaust housing done, nicely ask the shop operator to throw your housing into a batch that is already there. Most guys will do that and pocket your $30 ;)

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
mattjk said:
well, you can buy powder coating kits on ebay, and bake it in your oven... I'm sure someone has a ceramic kit that is similar if you want to save $20 and do it yourself.

If you are low on funds, get a group of people in your area to pitch in with you. Remember, it is a "LOT" charge so no matter how many parts you get coated (up to a point), it's going to only be $150.

Last time I got stuff coated, my batch only came out to $40.

Also, if you find a nice place, and you just want the exhaust housing done, nicely ask the shop operator to throw your housing into a batch that is already there. Most guys will do that and pocket your $30 ;)
Thanks for the info Matt. What kind of place does this? Speed shop, auto paint store?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I had my last tubo both coated and had a blanket. The blanket itself is good enough (this is what I currently have) I got mine from Sean at Titan.

Duane

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
mattjk said:
ok, my opinion. for $150, I'd rather go for the ceramic coating, but don't go with jethot. Find a local shop that does powercoating. Many of them are now setup for ceramic.

Now, for $150, that is their "LOT" charge, so you can take in your exhaust housing, compressor housing, downpipe, exhaust manifold, intercooler piping, 3000 pipe, etc, all for the price of one blanket. heck, take in your cam covers, and anything else you can remove... media polished silver ceramic looks pretty nice.

But, they don't keep under hood temps down like the blanket does. The blanket is way better for the task of insulating, and keeping the engine bay and hood cooler! If you feel the need to coat all others after that go ahead.

chriso said:
Does ceramic coating really reduce the heat in the engine bay like a blanket and exhaust wrap would?

HELL NO...I can touch my blanket with the car running after boosting hard; try that with a coated product, and see if your hand will survive the burns. You get heat reduction butnot nearly as good as a blanket. And if there is a debate on this I'll pay to see someone put their hands on a coated turbine housing seconds after boosting hard while the car is running!