turbo diesel help!

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
i have the company truck for the week as the boss is on vacation. i was driving it around friday and saturday during our really cold week 8 degrees F (average of -13 degrees Celsius) when at idle the gmc truck is sitting at 200kpa (20 psi) and then when im moving its around 275 kpa (40psi). then today i go to move it and at idle it shoots up to 550kpa (80psi) then as i am driving it slowly goes back down to like 350kpa and the "change engine oil" message comes on the dashboard.

hopefully a simple oil change will fix this? maybe over night the hot engine made condensation and the oil got slushy?

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
When you were idling the first time (at 20 psi), even if it is cold outside, the oil is still warm.
You went to move it today and the oil is cold, and thus more viscous. The more viscous it is, the more resistance, and thus more pressure. As the oil warms up, oil pressure should drop.

If the truck has a block heater, leave it plugged in overnight if it is that cold. You should be able to drive it while it is warming up, but drive it easy, don't push it.

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
lewis15498;1503520 said:
I'm surprised it started right up for you. When its that cold, they do not want to start if you forgot to plug them in.

This is true, I've heard stories of truckers warming the plugs almost an hour prior to starting their trucks just to get them started in terribly cold weather.

My old 2500 is the same way. If you don't plug it in, she throws sh*t fits when you try to start her in below freezing weather. It's true about the oil, put some 10W-30 in a metal container and leave it outside over night. Try to pour it out in the morning and you'll see how thick it is. Now imagine that's what's sitting in your oil pan every cold morning when you try and start it without using your block heater.

darrick

Jan 25, 2009
des moines
My dad has never had to plug his in. living in Iowa we get some colder tempatures and his starts up. You have to turn the key wait for this squigallly line to go away and she starts right up.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
darrick;1503570 said:
My dad has never had to plug his in. living in Iowa we get some colder tempatures and his starts up. You have to turn the key wait for this squigallly line to go away and she starts right up.

That would be the glowplugs heating up the fuel.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
nick88;1503884 said:
That would be the glowplugs heating up the fuel.

Glow Plugs heat up the Combustion Chamber. Not the Fuel.

Twan: What you experienced is merely coincidental. The ECM in that truck has a calculation based upon mileage and how the vehicle was driven to estimate when an oil change is due.

It just so happened that the light came on when it did, nothing to do with the weather or any of that.

Oh, and if there's anything less accurate than the factory gauges in the MK3, it's the ones in the GM trucks. Get the oil changed, go on with your life ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Since we're venturing off topic here, I have forgotten to plug my Powerstroke in when it was ~14* and she still fired right up.

For around 10 seconds, it sounded like 8 little men with ball peen hammers inside my engine though. ;)

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
CajunKenny;1503923 said:
Since we're venturing off topic here, I have forgotten to plug my Powerstroke in when it was ~14* and she still fired right up.

For around 10 seconds, it sounded like 8 little men with ball peen hammers inside my engine though. ;)

Even plugged in, the PSD at work (7.3) was not a happy idler for a good 15 minutes at about 0*. Though my gf's parents sprinter van with a little 2.7 I5 Merc diesel doesn't do too bad even in single digits with no plug in, I was kinda shocked.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Now, I said ~14, not -14. ;)

Anything below 20, I typically plug in. Above that, she has no problem starting. Mine is also the favored 7.3. :)

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
For people saying plug it in if it's a newer duramax the block heater cords have a thermostat in them and even if you plug it in the block heater won't turn on till it's -18c. Same with my Chevy, I think a lot of the newer ones are like that as well.